Balancing the Balance

Death

Balancing the Balance  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer to nerf pickle farming?

• Adjust pickle buy price at bandit to force players to break even, but still allowing pickles found in the wild to turn a profit
    • Keep composter processing rate doubled effectively adding a larger time tax to farming scrap

what a mega thread about pickles. i dont have any answers just trying to figure out that now instead of 20 composters i need 40. I am getting really frustrated. i am not that good of a player and just looking for fun. I enjoy the dull drudgery of just doing stuff.  I fill my composters in the morning, i collect my public queries and tend my pump jack. go out and smash a few barrels and kill a few zombies. I probably die at least 3 to 4 times a day. What the fuck do we care if some smacktard has millions of internet points if they want to fill 800 composters with pickles let them.  you can have my empire of pickles.....

So if Pickle farming for profit is going to be done away with.. Then is Cloth farming and all other types of farming for profit stopping?  Farming stone is really profitable and no one seems to want to hang by their toes to do that... Farming Heli's and APC's as well......  I'm not being cynical,  If farming for profit is not desirable, whatever form it takes, Then do away with all types. And Why penalize players for farming scrap?  It's all part of role playing...

Last wipe i played on survival, this wipe im playing on scourge. Both US. Played on a 12700k and 3080TI.

On survival seems to average out to be like 1/3 of players that scourge gets. i feel scourage has been a better preforming server with more players.

So when i hear things about server preformance i feel you are talking more to the survival side. I get that pipes probably take a big hit, but thats why i feel like one solution for all servers isnt the way to go. Ive seen bases in survival that can be all piped together over 500 composters that you can fill off one box. That i understand is not what you want to see as a server owner..  In scourage its a task to upkeep 50, and it not as profitable as other things you can do. It gives you a nice start that is forsure.

I think a cap on composters could be a good thing. putting 50 stack pickles is just going to make ppl put down more, and doesnt hurt survivals huge piped pickle bases at all.

Love, 

Steveo

Stop this idiotic nerf. There is nothing wrong with EU Scourge performance, stop spreading lies and bullying people. If I want to play a scrap farmer, I should be allowed to do that. I haven't given new or old players stupid amounts of scrap for nothing. My existence is not ruining server's economy. Why bully people like that? Consider this my resignation from this server. And I already know Death's answer. Last time it was so sarcastical... 

First of all it's not a nerf, it's an exploit which needs to be addressed. It was unintenionally created so everyone could buy anything from vendors, and you've found a way to profit from it, and profit HUGE. 

Also no one will stand by everyone and watch if they're giving away scrap to anyone, it just needs to be dealt with from the source.

It's the same as crying about devs fixing clipping through walls. You found a way to exploit it and now it's been taken away.

---- UPDATE ----

I will copy here what I originally said on discord:

Norek — 10/04/2022

I was just thinking what if vendors were instanced to each player with vanilla (or modified) counts. 6x10 seems kinda low though

Norek — 10/04/2022

To be more clear - vendor has for example 2k pickles for each and every player independently each day instead of 1 instance of 9999999999 (so it doesn't run out and has enough for everyone). You can buy your 2k pickles, do what you wish, make the fertilizer, sell it for profit, whatever. That's all the pickles you get from the vendor today, come back tomorrow, thank you for shopping. Do other stuff .. or don't, up to you.

Norek — 10/04/2022

I was thinking more like a limit per player per day so everyone has an equal chance instead of the first one buying out all the shop. Adjust the count accordingly so you can't make more than Xk scrap per day. If you want more, you have to find other players who would buy and give you their share. Also that wouldn't be even close to the current scrap yield per day on pickles alone. If you want even more you'd still have to do other stuff ingame as well like quarry runs.

-------------------

Those who are concerned about players buying from others. Well, players have no reason to buy pickles and put them in their shops because it's not profitable for them. If they buy 12 pickles for 2 scrap and sell for 3 seeking profit, it's not profitable for the buyer anymore and it breakes even. 

Also if a group is doing this together it doesn't matter as it would be the same as individuals doing it. It all comes down to everyone wanting to increase their net worth so the groups income is split anyways.

I'm not familiar with Oxide but looked at hooks and asume that vendors are actually NPC like vending machines as they share the same UI. The only vendors which are different, and which may have their own hooks are the air wolves and quest givers which are not relevant atm.

So the hook I'm talking about is OnVendingShopOpened(VendingMachine machine, BasePlayer player) where a Dictionary (or whatever game devs use) can be managed containing available pickles (or even other items) for each player

However if this is not the case and the only hook for NPC guys is OnNpcGiveSoldItem(NPCVendingMachine machine, Item soldItem, BasePlayer buyer) then this might actually not work and other solutions would be needed like placing an actual vending machine for pickles and hooking that one.

The OnVendingShopOpened hook works on NPC vending machines, just tested it.

Edited by Norek
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

how about just limit the amount of pickles any player can buy per day.... also up the amounts that can be found in wild. reward vip players more by including chance stacks in the drops....

remove pickle purchase from bandit. instance an npc to sell only X amount to each player per day. (could either do this by server time or in game time to make it more immersive).

OR if thats too difficult -  just make a command /buypicklesyoudirtyfarmer

2 cents.

Edited by drew

• Death unpinned this topic