Question about my system and low FPS

Onodacops

• Staff

Turn down shadows and shaders in your settings as they have the biggest impact on performance. Lowering your draw distance will reduce VRAM usage but may cause noticeable lag while you're moving quickly.

Cap your fps to 60, so your computer is not overloading to achieve unrealistic goals as well. The only reason you'd want to go higher than 60 is if your monitor supports a higher refresh rate. Ingame FPS should be capped to your monitor's refresh rate. Any frames in excess will not benefit you in any way.

If you provide me your full system's specs, I can help you further with your settings. Download Speccy and screenshot the results.

• Like 1

Dude, you CPU is thermal throttling. The max sustainable temperature for an Intel CPU is 100 Celcius to my knowledge, so if you reach anywhere near that. the CPU lowers its Mhz. And I think your CPU should be base clock of 3.6GHz when healthy and yours is an average of just over 2Ghz. It will do this to allow you to continue using your CPU without it killing itself.

It should also be using turbo boost at 4.2Ghz when gaming.

Most of the times there are 3 possibilities, more frequently

1. Bad airflow/something blocking cooling vents. Could even be dust or hair build up. (could also be if computer is up against a heat source, like a furnace vent or heater)
2. You CPU fan, or cooling system such as a Water AIO are dead or unplugged.
3. Older systems may need to have old thermal paste under the heat sink removed and reapplied, the constant heat or even on and off heat can cause the thermal paste to dry our and bleed to the outer edge of the CPU.

Option 4, is if I am caught offguard and this is a laptop, there are no good cooling solutions for laptops with that generation to give you good performance, Its normal for a laptop to hit 100C when gaming i suppose, not for a desktop, as it will have better airflow. Laptop will generally thermal throttle as part of their design. Buying a Laptop for gaming is like buying a minivan for racing at the track. It will never work good no matter what decals you put on the van. Your specs do show me it's a desktop. I see too many threads of people asking why their laptops throttle on forums/reddit

FYI: I am Systems Analyst who specializes in Windows server,  Subject matter expert for server performance monitoring in large enterprise environments. I am also Linux+ Certified so not a Windows Fanboy either.

Average Temperature: 

98 °C

Cores

Core 0

Core Speed: 

2195.7 MHz

Multiplier: 

x 22.0

Bus Speed: 

99.8 MHz

Temperature: 

96 °C

Threads: 

APIC ID: 0, 1

Core 1

Core Speed: 

1996.1 MHz

Multiplier: 

x 20.0

Bus Speed: 

99.8 MHz

Temperature: 

100 °C

Threads: 

APIC ID: 2, 3

Core 2

Core Speed: 

2195.7 MHz

Multiplier: 

x 22.0

Bus Speed: 

99.8 MHz

Temperature: 

98 °C

Threads: 

APIC ID: 4, 5

Core 3

Core Speed: 

2195.7 MHz

Multiplier: 

x 22.0

Bus Speed: 

99.8 MHz

Temperature: 

98 °C

Threads: 

APIC ID: 6, 7

RAM

Edited by aNoNiM

As soon as I turned the desktop on, motherboard jumped right to 121 C and 98 C on the CPU. Fan is running, I can feel the airflow, not a watercooled machine. Not next to the wall, or heatsource and I keep the office at 70 degrees. "Older systems may need to have old thermal paste under the heat sink removed and reapplied." ?

Thanks for all your help,

Ono

Edited by Onodacops