6 Hour Server Auto-Restart

SKUDRUNNER

As the title suggests, some people would like to see the servers Auto-Restart every 6 hours, to hopefully account for a day's worth of wear on the server being somewhat refreshed.
Discord_pZ9C9gFb4U.thumb.png.506a681f7a21b1dc5147714476b5e613.png

I know that new server hardware is on the way, which may eliminate the need for this. In the meantime, however...

• Like 2

I'd love to try this and see if it helps! Restarts with notice, even if frequent, aren't remotely as frustrating as random crashes and rollbacks. 

I'd also love to know if there's anything that we as a community can do to help, be it temporarily limiting building size, or turning off electricity etc. when not needed.

• Like 3

I am so pissed off with the roll backs... spend a few hours doing stuff and - BAM! - puff it's all gone.  Than to add insult to injury you are told not to complain by admins. Well - where I come from - you don't insult your customers when they are telling you about a problem - that's how you lose your customers.  I'm a paying customer - I support the server with web-site purchases. I liked the server enough to join it.  However, if you continue to make my experience on the server unpleasant I'll take my business elsewhere! 

• Like 6

Not knowing the architecture, but just pulling from what I know - I'd try and create something in cron to cp the save file off to another mount, or if not another mount, a separate directory, each file appended with a timestamp. Do that say every 10-15 minutes. Keep maybe 4-6 hours worth, then another cron job to remove anything older than 6 hours so space doesn't get exhausted. You'd always have the current save file, and then have several backups to pick from should the need arise.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing that at all if the management approved of it, I know restarts can help "freshen" up equipment so it would be nice to see implemented.

Can't wait for the new equipment to arrive in a few weeks, hopefully it'll be as smooth as butter :')

Edited by Futrex