Disappointed

igorcraven

While players not following the rules is annoying there's one issue that crushes me far more than any other.  Logging in expecting to find yourself in the same forest you were in when you logged out only to find that every tree near your base is gone.  The last time this was an issue was the last time I complained about people not following the rules.  So it seems to me like the clear cutting might be retaliation?  Who knows.  Could have just been a player discovering the chain saw for the first time.  It would be awesome if some day you could obtain a TC that protected the trees around your base also.  Just one layer.  Enough to give you the idea that you're in an area that has trees.  Or maybe a server that is a real community where the players all understand what is important to other players.  Where everyone agrees to the rules and there are real consequences for not following them.  This would be very valuable to me and I would happily pay a fee for this service.  Otherwise EZ is a great sandbox to play in and I really do appreciate the service I do get here.  Thanks to Death and all the admins.

I can't speak to the other cases, but in this instance, I believe a lot of the trees were actually removed by Death in order to limit overall entity count (as confirmed by multiple players in game chat who were there at the time of the Disappearing.)  If you fly over the map, you can see that there are now WAY less trees and forest areas. So no, it was not player retaliation against you (this time at least.)

I agree it can be frustrating to find a forest gone around you. However, trees, rocks, ore, are all public resources and up for grabs for whoever mines them. There are no rules in terms of who can mine or chop what. It would be kind of cool though if there was a way to TC-protect trees, but I have no idea if that would be possible to code.

Thanks @alexanightfire.  Yes maybe that's it this time.  I wasn't saying farming trees was against any rules.  I guess I'm hopeful that we can develop more of a community over time where even things that are not against any rules but can be annoying to others are discouraged.  I for example try to cut trees over a large area without taking trees around people's bases and not too many trees in any one location.  I also leave behind the Birch? trees.  The white barked ones just to have something around.  I know trees are meaningless to most so it's always going to be an uphill battle but I do have hope for that tree TC.  LOL

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I remember last wipe someone (an admin) made a base that surrounded a very special tree. Then some jerk went and chopped it down. It was both really funny and sad, and even admins can't read any logs that will tell you who chopped it down. They (in my opinion) sulked for the rest of the wipe and left their shops closed. I hate to say it, but you can't always get what you want.

And as for entities, I sometimes like to do my part by taking in three chainsaws, a bunch of fuel, and a car full of storage compartments, then do my part by deforesting the dark green areas. But boy do they sometimes take a while to appear again. Imagine trying to go to a dark green area and seeing nothing.