Change the /home system

SKUDRUNNER

You can place up to 10 sleeping bags or beds anywhere you want on the map, and access them through the /home command, then teleport to any one of those bags, at any time, for a minuscule credit fee. This is one system that I believe either needs to be reworked, revamped, or removed entirely. Personally, I'm all for reworks, as they tend to be less drastic.

For starters, I want to lower the number of bags on the /home menu to only 5. This will force players to place bags more strategically for their needs, instead of spreading them all over a map. There are many monuments and reasons a person may have to teleport, and 10 bags almost certainly covers those reasons. It is also a primary form of transport for people who are up to no good, as simply teleporting to a bag is a lot faster than walking or flying to a point, and if this kind of player gets there first, they can repeatedly deny other players certain opportunities, such as Garrisons or Bradleys.

Next, let's increase the amount of credits it costs to teleport to a bag. I can't remember if your first teleport is Free or 100 credits, but it needs to be more than that. And teleporting caps at 200 credits, which is exceptionally low. We all know it is possible to end a wipe with 100,000 more credits than you started a wipe with. If teleporting is making it easier for players to earn those credits faster, there needs to be a larger penalty for teleporting. I think your first teleport being Free is fair, but after that, we should start going up in increments of 250 credits, and then max out at 2000 credits. This change should encourage players low on credits to use alternative methods of getting around; methods that the vanilla experience of Rust already offers. While these new numbers may still seem low to some, I hope it does encourage alternative play-styles for most.

And that's all I currently have for this idea. Please let me know your thoughts and constructive criticisms.

Thank you for reading.

You'r obviously referencing to Scourge servers here. The /home command is meant to be used as a convenient form of moving around. Some people don't want to/don't know how to fly, cars are rare as hell, and horses get stuck on terrain constantly. I remember death talking one time about how /home at one time didn't have a cap, it was instituted to encourage players to use it. Some players view 200 as still being quite high. 200 is the equivalent of about 4k scrap. Limiting the number of bags for /home or increasing the price per teleport won't fix anything. Just because you can only /home to 10 bags you can still place well over 10 and just use f1 kill to teleport around, which many players in fact do. Which, if anything, should atest to the fact than many people think the price is too high. I started the wipe with 100k credits and haven't turned anything in, I've called in 3 helis, and teleported around quite a lot for various reasons. I'm down to 63k credits. How do you think this sort of thing would effect new players or people that can't play for 12+hrs a day like I can?

2 hours ago, GREENG1ANT said:

Some people don't want to/don't know how to fly, cars are rare as hell, and horses get stuck on terrain constantly.
How do you think this sort of thing would effect new players or people that can't play for 12+hrs a day like I can?

/home shouldn't be a be-all, end-all system to replace vanilla aspects of the game. By having /home, all we've done is show people overtime that earning a little bit of credits can be an easy way for them to get around the map, without doing any work to get where they're going. Players shouldn't use /home just because they don't want to learn how to fly, or actually go find a vehicle. Cars are not rare; people just aren't actually taking the time to go around the map looking. Which is odd, since they can teleport anywhere they want, just to start looking.

Some players view 200 as still being quite high. 200 is the equivalent of about 4k scrap.

Ok, but remember that exchanging scrap for credits is one-way; you cannot exchange credits for scrap. I don't care if you don't have 4+ hours a day to play, if you run monuments and scrap piles constantly for a few hours, recycling everything you find, you can and will get yourself over 10k scrap when you're done in that time frame. Scrap can also be cheekily won at Bandit Camp; with an understanding of how to play the game, you can triple your investment in 30 minutes. Killing NPCs gives you credits, you can make 500+ just for doing Small Oil Rig. And lastly, you get free credits, every hour, just for playing! If somebody wanted to, they could just +right idle inside their house overnight, and come back with a free 1000 credits in the morning.

Just because you can only /home to 10 bags you can still place well over 10 and just use f1 kill to teleport around, which many players in fact do.

This is an issue I'm aware of, but forgot to mention while typing up the suggestion. I do not like the fact that you can get around the /home system like this. But considering the idea is linked to just putting your current inventory in your backpack, or storing another inventory at the location you're teleporting to, there's not much of a way to fix this issue. In this scenario, I'd be much more willing to remove the /home system entirely than I would be having our backpacks be cleared on death, or worse, removed entirely. And yet, just because you can get around the /home system by F1ing, doesn't mean the /home system should just be left unaffected.

The only reason I can see to limit bag count so not everyone makes a little bag shack at every monument so they can go on a teleporting loot spree.  And I am personally okay with limiting bag count.

If you have been on the EZ servers for a while the cost of a revive or /home is negligible.  Changing the prices would not effect long time players with 50K or more EZ credits just sitting there.  The price has to be kept low enough to make it accessible to new EZ players.  Otherwise it's a matter of have's vs. have-not's.

• Like 1
  • Love 2