The *R* word

Amyrlin

25 minutes ago, Amyrlin said:

So... this word is no longer acceptable in our day-to-day, why is it ok in casual talk or people's names? It's insulting and unacceptable. Would it be okay to ban this word? It seems kind of funny that it's still happening in 2021.

I agree it is pretty frustrating to see, its not exactly socially acceptable anymore in your day to day life so not sure why it is in game? I think that should be changed. 

• Like 2

• Staff

Most moderation done is never seen or realized by the majority of players.  Any terms or expressions that are derogatory or hateful  are unwelcome here and are usually handled quickly and quietly,  if an occurrence happens, please tag the appropriate server in #help on out Discord and it will be looked into and dealt with.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I suppose it could depend on which country you live in, but where i live for example saying retard is no worse than calling someone an idiot.

Never the less toxic behavior is already not allowed on the servers, so as long as that's enforced there shouldnt be much of a problem.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 12:51 AM, Syk3z said:

I suppose it could depend on which country you live in, but where i live for example saying retard is no worse than calling someone an idiot.

Never the less toxic behavior is already not allowed on the servers, so as long as that's enforced there shouldnt be much of a problem.

I agree with @Death, a case-by-case is the best course of action, as it's the intent behind a word, not the word itself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, laffett said:

what is the "R" word as you guys say.

Is this just a super oversensitive college student who faints or froths at the mere idea of words? 

Political discourse is against the server/website rules. Seems to me like you're kind of baiting a political response. Nothing you said was constructive towards the conversation. I'd recommend just deleting this comment before you get a talking to for baiting.

• Like 1

No baiting, it was a legitimate question. And if the R word is what I think it is, then advocating for it's removal IS political discourse.

Trying to force political correctness. 

You can't make a political statement and then go crying to the mods when someone responds. If political discourse is not allowed which I am highly in favor of. Then this topic needs to be deleted immediately.

19 minutes ago, laffett said:

No baiting, it was a legitimate question. And if the R word is what I think it is, then advocating for it's removal IS political discourse.

Trying to force political correctness. 

You can't make a political statement and then go crying to the mods when someone responds. If political discourse is not allowed which I am highly in favor of. Then this topic needs to be deleted immediately.

Just stop... It's an offensive word. Don't need to say anything more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rubiks-q-bert said:

Just stop... It's an offensive word. Don't need to say anything more.

I am highly offended every day and told to just get over it by people like you. Is this just going to be a one way street where you get your desires catered to and I'm told to fuck off?

Look, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, you can't just strike down everything. You gotta have some thick skin.

Speaking as someone who literally has a traumatic brain damage from the military and suffers debilitating mental effects from said injury, as possibly one of the very few here that "should be offended by the word" This whole thing is fucking retarded.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, laffett said:

I am highly offended every day and told to just get over it by people like you. Is this just going to be a one way street where you get your desires catered to and I'm told to fuck off?

Look, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, you can't just strike down everything. You gotta have some thick skin.

Speaking as someone who literally has a traumatic brain damage from the military and suffers debilitating mental effects from said injury, as possibly one of the very few here that "should be offended by the word" This whole thing is fucking retarded.

I appreciate your service to our country, but you don't get a pass nor are you the final authority on a word because you suffered a brain injury in the military. Together, if we can help rid our community of hate speech and derogatory behavior, why wouldn't we? Do you condone or even prefer toxic environments?

The 'r' word in question is viewed as demeaning and insulting. Plain and simple. There are many other words in our language that are no longer acceptable.

Are you going to try to justify the use of the 'n' word or 'f' words too? 

Times change, words die. Let it go.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, laffett said:

Out in the real world, you can't stop people from saying certain things. Here, we can. Simple as that. I'm not personally offended by it. I do have thick skin. I'm just an advocate for others and the fact that certain words shouldn't be used no matter the context. Pick a different word. 

12 hours ago, Khaelum said:

I appreciate your service to our country, but you don't get a pass nor are you the final authority on a word because you suffered a brain injury in the military. Together, if we can help rid our community of hate speech and derogatory behavior, why wouldn't we? Do you condone or even prefer toxic environments?

The 'r' word in question is viewed as demeaning and insulting. Plain and simple. There are many other words in our language that are no longer acceptable.

Are you going to try to justify the use of the 'n' word or 'f' words too? 

Times change, words die. Let it go.

Kiddo, the word Retard means "regressed" you can have retarded growth and it means you didn't grow as much as you biologically should have. 

hate speech doesn't exist within the context of a criminally punishable word. Unless you want to lobotomize the entire world population please just shut up about it. I know you think you're doing what's right but all you are doing is crying that you can't police and control people's thoughts.

I get it, you have an external locust of control and you don't want to, so instead of standing up for yourself and becoming an individual you are living through another's cause and trying to force people into doing what you want because it's the only way you'll ever feel even a modicum of power or control.

Look, in order for you to be offended by someone you first have to actually value their opinion. Otherwise you spend your whole life trying to control the world you have literally zero influence on.

I'm sorry you're like this, but please for your own sake... get over yourself.

If I, the person who has the brain damage can do it, you certainly can. And if you can't I'm sorry but that puts you below someone with brain damage. Maybe the internet isn't for you if words cause you so much pain.

It's always good to try and be pleasant, but trying to force people to do what you want under any guise is still forcing people and most of the time is worse than this nonsense you're getting offended over.

So yes... please... get over yourself. 

10 hours ago, rubiks-q-bert said:

Out in the real world, you can't stop people from saying certain things. Here, we can. Simple as that. I'm not personally offended by it. I do have thick skin. I'm just an advocate for others and the fact that certain words shouldn't be used no matter the context. Pick a different word. 

That's retarded, sorry... it's just retarded...

Why would you break your back bending over backwards trying to coddle people.

I personally am VERY offended that you would even consider me and people like me so fragile that we can't handle a fucking word... air whistling past meat. 

Do NOT fucking condescend me or people like me. We aren't made of fucking glass, your every announcement that you're walking on eggshells is fucking rubbing our pain and disability in our fucking faces.

You really want to do what's best for us, treat us like everyone else. That's all we want.

• Staff

@laffett I think the first step to your political rabbit hole would be to understand that "retard" and "retarded" have completely different meanings. None of which have a use online, less, of course, you're having a technical discussion about engineering or medicine.

Retarded slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development
Retard to delay or impede the development or progress of : to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment

It's easy for you and me to see no problem with it because we were never personally affected by it. The whole movement behind removing the word from our day-to-day vocabulary is to give one less word for children to throw around and hurt people with. Kids are extremely mean, just in case you forgot.

To us, it's just a simple word, but when that simple word can ruin the day of someone who already struggles to be happy with life, why does it have to be so political just to NOT use it?

The moral of the story is, no one is forcing you to do anything. You can either follow server rules, I.E no disrespect or harassment, or you can play elsewhere. I think your past few replies are evidence that this isn't a matter of expressing your feelings, rather than using it as an opportunity to insult and offend people. Either way, this should end here. We've expressed our stance on the matter so you're free to align yourself with the standards of our community or move along.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Death said:

@laffett I think the first step to your political rabbit hole would be to understand that "retard" and "retarded" have completely different meanings. None of which have a use online, less, of course, you're having a technical discussion about engineering or medicine.

Retarded slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development
Retard to delay or impede the development or progress of : to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment

It's easy for you and me to see no problem with it because we were never personally affected by it. The whole movement behind removing the word from our day-to-day vocabulary is to give one less word for children to throw around and hurt people with. Kids are extremely mean, just in case you forgot.

To us, it's just a simple word, but when that simple word can ruin the day of someone who already struggles to be happy with life, why does it have to be so political just to NOT use it?

The moral of the story is, no one is forcing you to do anything. You can either follow server rules, I.E no disrespect or harassment, or you can play elsewhere. I think your past few replies are evidence that this isn't a matter of expressing your feelings, rather than using it as an opportunity to insult and offend people. Either way, this should end here. We've expressed our stance on the matter so you're free to align yourself with the standards of our community or move along.

If literally anyone here is to be offended by it it's exclusively me. 

And I am more offended on your stance on the subject. And even more so that you're so dismissive of my pain, refusing to acknowledge how offensive you are being and just lording your authority over the subject.

This behavior is vile and utterly disgusts me.

47 minutes ago, laffett said:

And I am more offended on your stance on the subject. And even more so that you're so dismissive of my pain, refusing to acknowledge how offensive you are being and just lording your authority over the subject.

Trolling the server owner. Good luck...

• Like 1

• Staff
2 hours ago, laffett said:

I guess what I said was a bit difficult for you to understand, so I'll make it easier. You either follow our community guidelines or kick rocks. If you feel your freedom of speech should be used to put people down, then I invite you to join Reddit or Twitter. It's not going to happen here.