Electric Set Up Question

Killer Queen

Hi there, 

I'm pretty new to Rust and was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me if there's a way for me edit the lighting that a friend set up in a base we share. I can link small industrial lights that I've added to our existing electric system, but, only if I re-draw all the wires. I can't connect mine to his. 

Is there a more efficient way to do this?

As long as you're both authorised on the tool cupboard then you should be able to use the wire tool to remove or add connections to any components in the base - if you want to remove a single connection, hold the tool, look at one of the end points, and hold the right mouse button.

If this didn't help, would you post a bit more detail about what the current layout is, what you want to achieve, and what exactly isn't working?

edit: https://rustrician.io/ can be useful for planning, and sharing designs

Edited by sirlagsalot
  • Like 2

Thank you for the reply - I will definitely check that out. 

It's the weirdest thing. I can make any edits to the base including "drawing" wires but I can't "add" to an existing electric system that my partner has made unless I "remove" the wire he made and "add" my own. Essentially, he had placed a long line of industrial lights that I wanted to add a few more to when he was offline. I was able to place the lights. I could attach a wire to the end of mine but I couldn't attach it to his unless I re-added the wire to all of them. 

I wound up just waiting for him  to log in and fix it haha xD

That's very strange - the only times I've had a similar experience to what you describe were when a) I had wired things up backwards and was therefore trying to attach to the wrong end (but in that case nothing was actually working yet) or b) when the object I was trying to connect to was above a car lift or some other large deployable item (it seems like some items have a 'bubble' within which the wire tool refuses to connect to anything else properly).

Anyway as you say, in this case easiest just to let your partner fix it 😄