Biggest QoL Suggestion

bethfaceplays

I've been playing on US Pure for a while and I only have one question/suggestion.... Is there any way to prevent the ridiculous lag that happens in specific areas of the map? In March it was around Bandit, April has been around fairgrounds area. I can't use a horse, I can't drive a car... I can barely walk through these areas (it happens in other areas as well, but these have been the worst). Maybe its because all of the custom monuments were grouped up along with normal monuments in one general place this month, but its really hard to want to explore some areas when I can't even move without dipping into the ground and such.

Maybe I'm asking a lot. I know it tends to be in areas with a lot of windmills, outside lights, and radios on non-stop. I know we get announcements about putting electricity on timers or sunlight timers or whatever (I have mine on smart switches and turn it all off and check throughout the day to make sure its off). It also tends to happen around very large bases or large bases close to other large bases.

If this was able to be fixed in any way, it would make the server so much more awesome.

Also a bed skin. 🙂

• Like 2

I was playing on US Pure and to avoid this I drove along the train line, avoiding 60% of the lag areas on the way to the bandit, the biggest problem was close to the dirt road, I thought the game would crash all the time .

Edited by Morceli

7 hours ago, Postanou said:

If you have the answer to stopping players from building ridiculously large twig bases, filled with hundreds of entities, then please let me know.

Because that's what causes your lag.

The funny part is the huge lag around these specific areas are across all rust ez servers with less the excessive buildup. To clarify what i mean is normal buildings rollplay building and shops. But the excessive lag is only around the fairgrounds bandit ect. Not saying large bases are not a issue but i think the issue around these monuments is not what you mention (large bases)  I build large bases and try to do so in remote unpopulated areas and do not have the lag issue's so the base in it self dose not seem to be the sole cause

It also gets tricky to figure out what is causing a specific latency issue when new things are added as Rust is still questionably optimized for a game that is nine years old.

I have never been able to go full gallop on a horse due to latency for example.  And I don't play on a potato.

[EDIT]

Also this is why I don't play on RustEZ US servers anymore, they are seriously overcrowded.

Edited by SCE_Wraith
Added after thought.
  • Love 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:30 AM, Postanou said:

If you have the answer to stopping players from building ridiculously large twig bases, filled with hundreds of entities, then please let me know.

Well I know some vanilla PvE servers with no decay make it so that twig decays.... thus either requiring people to farm wood for parts they want to keep twig for aesthetics or forcing them to upgrade.

I think also that if it was possible for people to access test generators without having to spend IRL money on them (maybe as Karen or Brad drops), then the use of windmills for power could be cut down. I know on US Pure, one player buys several gens and sells them in his shop and people are always buying them, so obviously players would use them if they had better access to them. I know that the test gen is a luxury, but if it could make the server run better....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Other than twig decay, I think the only way is to "slow down" builds by reducing the amount of resources from PJs, Excavator and Quarries. If players can build a huge Karen tower, full HQM, by day 2 of wipe, then yeah of course we're gonna have performance issues if it's that easy.

Reducing the amount of resources extracted would mean :

1. Some players will end up building somewhat smaller.
  2. Some players will still build big, but it will take more time. Therefore delaying performance issues AND extending player participation further into the wipe.
  3. The game economy will be better off; scrap will be slightly harder to get so it will get back it's value. Players will have a reason to farm and sell resources, those resources being less easy to obtain, then they'll actually be worth something, and it'll be worth it to sell them.
  4. If you get less scrap and resources, you'll be a little more conservative with the lights, neons, windmills etc. So a little less entities here and there, better performance.

Server is called "Pure", but seems like we're getting further and further away from vanilla. It's suppose to be a survival game, not a "put fuel in a machine, wait 24hrs, get rich" game...

Also, FacePunch keeps adding stuff, so performance is going down no matter what. If we wanna keep the server accessible (more populated), then we have to compensate somehow.

My 2 cents.

Edited by Lord McGuffin
  • Like 4

Ok so as we just learned in the first ever Q&A session on Discord, TWIG IS NO DIFFERENT AND HAS NO MORE IMPACT THAN WOOD OR STONE!!!  I did not know that. IN FACT, HQM builds have a bit more polygons than the other textures.

So yeah, there we go.

Edited by Lord McGuffin
  • Like 1

Theres a difference between a large  base and a large base plastered with 600 christmas lights and flashing siren lights as well. Some people build laggy bases on purpose. US Survival last wipe, the 12 story militia something build with christmas lights and 30+ vending machines always too my FPS from 80 to 20 instantly.

On 5/18/2022 at 6:21 PM, Lord McGuffin said:

Other than twig decay, I think the only way is to "slow down" builds by reducing the amount of resources from PJs, Excavator and Quarries. If players can build a huge Karen tower, full HQM, by day 2 of wipe, then yeah of course we're gonna have performance issues if it's that easy.

Reducing the amount of resources extracted would mean :

1. Some players will end up building somewhat smaller.
  2. Some players will still build big, but it will take more time. Therefore delaying performance issues AND extending player participation further into the wipe.
  3. The game economy will be better off; scrap will be slightly harder to get so it will get back it's value. Players will have a reason to farm and sell resources, those resources being less easy to obtain, then they'll actually be worth something, and it'll be worth it to sell them.
  4. If you get less scrap and resources, you'll be a little more conservative with the lights, neons, windmills etc. So a little less entities here and there, better performance.

Server is called "Pure", but seems like we're getting further and further away from vanilla. It's suppose to be a survival game, not a "put fuel in a machine, wait 24hrs, get rich" game...

Also, FacePunch keeps adding stuff, so performance is going down no matter what. If we wanna keep the server accessible (more populated), then we have to compensate somehow.

My 2 cents.

This! I hope staff is tracking on how broken the public resource harvesters are now that they are instanced. You nailed it, everyone has had so much scrap and building resources at their disposal. I don’t think the majority have utilized the public ones, but it will soon become the standard of gameplay on the server if it’s not adjusted imo. It’s just too easy/strong of a scrap generator as is.

^This
I've been saying this since instanced PJs & Quarries were introduced.

Instead of each PJ & quarry being only operated by 1 person at a time, bringing in 1x resources into the server, we have dozens and dozens of players bringing in dozens and dozens times more resources into the server making it too rich too fast. Plus, now there is no risk for using PJs, quarries, and GE, more players are exploiting them, making the problem worse.

I get why Death brought it in; Because these public facilities can only be used by one person at a time, he made them instanced so everyone can use them equally. But I think the consequences of instancing is too much of a con.

I don't care if instancing stays on Survival & Scourge, I want to see it gone on Pure.

• Like 1