Rust Launch Options to Improve Performance

BRO

Aurora
This post was recognized by Aurora!

"Pro Tips – thank you!"

BRO was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 5 points.

gonna post this here since every person who I've talked to on US scourge that has low fps has been helped by this immensely,
Rust has launch options you can add in Steam to essentially make the client 1. utilize more memory, 2. utilize multicore processors, and 3. force DX11 and some other ish. the one I run is this:

-heapsize 27262976 -force-feature-level-11-0 -cpuCount=6 -exThreads=12 -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded -gc.buffer 4096

-heapsize=x = This is the amount of memory IN KILOBYTES that Rust is allowed to consume basically, where x = the number of KB to dedicate.
I set mine to 28GB I believe since I have 32GB of RAM and Windows doesn't really have that much overhead on my machine. It's recommended to set this to 16GB on a 32GB system but I give 0 fucks and want my damn Rust to play well. To convert GB to KB, take the number in GB you wish to dedicated and multiply it by 1024, then again by 1024. 16GB would be 16777216.

-force-feature-level-11-0 = This forces the game to render in DX11.

-cpuCount=x and -exThreads=x = These are the total amount of cores and threads you wish to dedicate to the client, where x represents the number of cores/threads.

I'm running a Ryzen 5 5600X, so my machine has a total of 6 cores, 12 threads. To find this, you can right click your Start Menu, select Task Manager, select Performance, then your CPU. Cores and Logical Processors (threads) should be listed here. You can also change the view here by right clicking the graph of your CPU utilization, select Change graph and then Logical Processors to see your overall per core utilization, as well as how many total cores/threads there are in a graphical format. You can also use a tool like CPU-Z to see this information in more detail.

-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded = This instructs Rust to run DX11 with multithreading on.

-gc.buffer 4096 = This is the amount of memory to dedicate to garbage collection.

Since Rust has so many entities/assets, and people LOVE pickle farming, this helps A LOT when you're passing by areas with an extreme (and sometimes unnecessary) amount of entities. It's recommended to set it to it's maximum value, which it currently is at 4096. If you have less than 16GB of memory, set this to 2048.

To access the launch options, right click Rust in Steam and select Properties. Should open to the General section which has the Launch Options right there.

Of course, there are multiple other things you can also do to increase your Rust performance, like enabling your RAM's XMP/D.O.C.P. settings in UEFI settings, and overclocking/undervolting your GPU, however those I won't go into simply because an amateur can quite literally brick their PC from doing so. If that's something you're interested in, hit me up on Discord (I'm BRO in the discord, you can't miss me, the only dude with the Rolf from Ed Edd n Eddy pfp) and I'll be glad to hook you up with some tools to pull some reports and give you a best-guestimate based on hardware what else you can maximize from it for the best performance you could possibly get without upgrading components.

Cheers, and happy Rustmas (or Deathmas?)!

• Like 7