Wipe Cycle Changes

Death

• Staff

This topic has been brought up ever since the dawn of time and it really should be addressed now before further misinformation is spread throughout players. As we most know, FacePunch does what they call "forced wipes" which forces servers to wipe before updating to the newest build. They typically only do this if they make changes to proc gen but it seems this has become a norm every month.

With that being said I think it's wise we adjust our wipe cycle to accommodate the ever changing landscape in Rust by reverting from our 3-month cycle and instead wipe only when forced. Once Rust either progresses further or fully releases this will no longer be an issue but as of right now this needs to be changed.

Wiping in PvE sounds pointless, I know, but the efforts of transferring inventories will start to burn out players and leave them with nothing else to do which will eventually drive them away from Rust completely. PvE is very different compared to PvP as the risk and reward factor is there where as in PvE you can stockpile to your heart's content which leaves out the possibility of loss which Rust was built around.

TL:DR
All PvE servers will now only wipe when forced which may very well be a monthly thing until Rust progresses in development.

Have feedback on this change? Feel free to leave below!

• Like 1

I personally love that "fresh-with-nothing-but-a-rock-and-a-torch" feel ;)

I am still too new or too scatty to understand how often facepunch tend to do the hard wipes, but I am gathering it is fairly frequently of late.  Whilst I find 3 months too long a stretch for me, if the hard wipes are less than that, all good with me.

See you on the beach with my rock too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think 3 months was too long and a month will be fine.  Enough time to do stuff, but not so much time you get bored.  I might have to scale back our projects to something less than a 40x45 square footprint (well diamond footprint).

I'll be at the beach also showing off my assets!  And by assets I mean my rock and torch.

-Z

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as the server population is growing and fluctuating.  I'm happy to have more frequent wipes even without carry over of inventory, but can see both sides of this.  Lets give this a try and see how it goes.  If we are knee deep in tool cupboard and abandoned twig build, but scant players, we can adjust accordingly.  It will be a fascinating social experiment. As always this is a work in progress and tuning will continue to be the balancing act Death has to do.

• Like 1

Wipes seem to bring a a renewed level of excitement to the game. In my opinion, more is better.  No need to carry over inventory, resources are plentiful and a player can have an AK within an hour of play.  Any thoughts on Survival of having the helicopter active from day 1?  It would be good to crank up the challenge on Survival. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Death locked and unpinned this topic
  • Death unfeatured this topic