More buildings then needed

CowboyRob99

So I am going to put this here even though (US) Scurge is the server that has me thinking about this. It may be something to consider on all servers or at least the big pop RustEZ servers.

I just logged into Scurge for the first time this wipe. Traveling to the dome to my friends base, the lag was an issue every time I got around bases. And that was a lot. We do love to build. My issue is not the size or scope of the bases.

My first thought is that building a 1x1 building for the sole purpose of putting a TC on it to try and block others from building around their base and in the surrounding area should not be allowed. All that does is add more stuff that the map and servers have to process and I have to believe contributes to the lag issues that the server experiences. 

My other thought (especially on scurge where many people come to play, at least for a while) is that bases that are from people that have not logged in in a set period of time should be removed. I have seen many bases built and then no one ever comes back. It is to easy to build something and stock the TC that has enough resources to last till wipe.  I am not sure the best way to completely address this problem without affecting people who stay on the server all month other than maybe the admins checking randomly and removing abandoned structures. (Something I may be willing to help with as an admin if asked.)

Just a thought from a player.

• Like 2

• Staff

We're aware of the client performance issues due to the entity count. We will try our best to avoid doing inactive decay as we do on our other servers. We will be making changes as of next wipe that should help such as higher upkeep cost and a larger map to help spread entities.

In the future, I plan to develop an incremental upkeep system that will get more expensive the longer a base is inactive. Even if the player is not inactive, bases that are not visited for a long period of time will decay faster and use more resources to upkeep. This system will be pretty intensive so it'll be unlikely to be seen any time soon until I get everything else as optimized as possible.

• Like 4

I generally find TC pillars offensive and detracting to the environment.  Unfortunately sometimes that's the only way to prevent other players from building right next to you, especially if you plan on expanding on your initial base or using the area later on.  Unfortunately that also brings to mind some passive aggressive crap I've seen done on Pure where some people have no respect for personal space and will build things next to other players specifically to be a dick.

So if we as a community want to prevent or limit the use of TC's for blocking out territory, how do we then deal with players who have no respect for personal space and will build as close to your front door as possible?

TC upkeep on my last wipe was sketchy and burning mats faster than the rate listed in my TC and I had to restock once to make the math work.  That's not great if you do the math and stock a TC for a specific number of days just to find out a week later your some how short and your base started rotting.  Most of the community servers already have a sketchy feel about TC upkeep.  Do we really want to implement a system that scales up TC upkeep based on inactivity?

@SCE_WraithI get what you are saying about the TC pillars. But at the same time my current base we built on Scurge, we built a starter and came back and was surrounded by someone else's TC pillars basically. On top of being up against Dome. Granted that part is our fault. Maybe a start is after a week, they must come down. Most of the returning players have their footprint by then.

As for as the TC upkeep scaling, something has to be done. Sometimes you can't move because of the overcrowding from all the buildings. Many of them haven't been touched in a long time. I am sure @Deathcan find a solution that works for all. Maybe it does not ap[ply to VIP/Admins. Maybe admins can grant normal decay to players in some situations. Life does happen after all. But 15-floor twig towers, pyramids, and 200 small bases that have no activity  just waste space and server resources.

But that is what the foams are for. To discuss issues and come up with ideas and solutions that help us all. I am just glad that Death listen to us.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:50 PM, CowboyRob99 said:

@SCE_WraithI get what you are saying about the TC pillars. But at the same time my current base we built on Scurge, we built a starter and came back and was surrounded by someone else's TC pillars basically. On top of being up against Dome. Granted that part is our fault. Maybe a start is after a week, they must come down. Most of the returning players have their footprint by then.

Well that's just a douche move.

• Like 1

Limit homes to 4.... Done.... most of those are spawn homes. At the beginning of the wipe it was ridiculous, all the loot at the your local gas stations and such were always gone because of people on the other side of the map doing spawn runs. It was irritating. There's 7 spawn homes around my local supermarket. Where's the roleplay in this? It messes the economy up in game when people can do this. Now those spawn huts sit the last half of the wipe. The economy needs attention, I shouldn't hear automatic gunfire the second day into the wipe. I know having cars will be a ways out but I feel limiting homes to four will be an easy fix to most problems. @Death