Raise awareness on lights lag

Stv.

Ive never had issues of people's lights lagging. Not quite sure it's the lights how can you tell unless you had the ability to turn them all off? It's more than likely your computer or your connection

The other problem is it might be a client side issue, such as you settings on shadows etc. Or your computer is not fast enough to play Rust in a densly populated areas.

Not sure how you are going to get people to add complexity to their electricity setup when you are too lazy to highlight text and copy paste to be honest.

Lol what does me just screenshoting my message have to do with the light issue?

I dont think is just a problem on my end. Theres alot more having same issues.

Do you play on US Scourge or another RustEZ server with less pop and huge bases?

You explain that people have to take time to setup a complicated electrical system, to save FPS on your computer. But you can't be bothered to type again or copy paste text properly. It's not really sending the right message. It takes more effort to setup a day/night electrical system with a solar panel and blocker than it is to copy paste. Plus they would need to do this every month.

What I don't get is how do you know it's not the lights and the fact there are a lot of build blocks. You do not have the ability to shut off all the lights from other people to know the lights would have an impact or not.

Edited by aNoNiM
  • Haha 1

I dont see the point of copying everything if I cant just post it faster in another way.

I wouldnt bother to post at all if I didnt care about. Also I wouldnt be going around offering people heli if I didnt care, right?

Anyway... As I was asking before. Do you play on US Scourge or another RustEZ server with less pop and huge bases?

Feel free to join the server and judge yourself. 162.248.92.55:28013

Now we all know at this point Rust is still a poorly optimized game when it comes to graphics.  I play on a top of the line machine and I get screen tearing on potato settings when riding a stupid horse at more than a trot.  Rust is just going to be janky and most of us have accepted that as part of the Rust charm.

So if lighting is causing you to lag, maybe you need to learn how to tune your graphics settings to compinsate.

And I agree with SCE_Wraith the problem is more than likely a problem your end. I have played US RustEZ Scourge, not interested in playing there. Too much drama, can never do heli or brad or cargo, or oil rigs, as too many people lined up. Also your comment about allowing other players to do heli?

Lag was an issue in pookie town before electricity was a thing, but they were also spamming tuna can lamps.

Running your game in potato tells the game that you don't have a graphics card and forces to use more CPU. Rust is already a CPU bound game. You will see a massive difference in intel vs AMD as Rust prefers single CPU performance, as per Allistair(Facepunch dev) . Ryzen users have a tendency to complain more about Rust performance because of latency issues.

My game normally runs at 150-195FPS. when I get frame drops on a slow server or huge builds it drops to  110-130. And I play at 1080P with graphics set to 6, I only have a GTX 1070 waiting on RTX 3000 series. But I have the top of the line gaming CPU, that gave me a huge FPS boost in Rust, since it's a CPU bound game so made the huge difference.

There are certain areas on our server that do, in fact, have some serious issues every wipe. I ALSO have a top-of-the-line computer and last wipe I had to turn my settings down to "potato" as you say, just to sit in my base and look around. I wasn't getting screen tearing... I was getting 6 FPS.  It was not just my computer, it was everyone that came into the area. Now, this wasn't ALL because of lighting, as there were MASSIVE builds nearby and a lot of bases crammed into one spot, however it did play a part, and somehow raising awareness on the issue WOULD help.

ON that note @DragonCoffee made an Excellent post on how to do night-only lighting. perhaps a link to that somewhere, or even a define command would be something to consider.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/28/2024 at 3:38 AM, Masterduelist said:

Does this issue only apply to the default ceiling lights? what about the industrial lights dlc?  I heard some ppl say these lights produce less lag.

As far as I understand, the biggest issue with the ceiling lights is how they are placed. They have the possibility of 'wobbling' when placed (like on the slant of a roof) and that means they spawn differently/new for each player coming into contact within their range/render. Unsure how much the actual 'light' functionality differentiates when compared with industrial. My assumption would be - like fire animation, smoke animation, and animated electricity - all entity based lighting does represent a relative draw on the map's server-side 'fixed' state (relative to a client-side's rendering of whichever portion of the map your character's range is experiencing). In short, I'd assume a 'proper' (non-wobbly) placed ceiling light would represent the exact same draw as an industrial light, relative to how much light they output (i.e., ceiling lights probably are marginally worse on lag, simply bc they do seem to put out a broader halo of light). 

... anybody with actual first-hand experience/knowledge with this, feel free to correct 🙂

• 1 month later...

LOL, light lag. I like to keep my lights simple root combiner and a windmill. Ya i could hook it up to a battery and watch a video, did that one wipe. Ya ill pass since i dont get light lag. Only lag i get is from those certain people that place like 20 sirens in one spot and power all those.