Death

Parachuting  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Bring back parachuting?

• Yes
    • No

• Death featured and pinned this topic
  • Staff

@Sararainmaker Originally, instead of spawning on the beach, you'd spawn in parachuting and have somewhat control over where you landed. This was to prevent players from getting gobbled up by zombies on first spawn.

I've since then implemented safeguards to prevent this without the need for parachutes but I felt it added a nice aesthetic. Parachutes were removed due to collision issues.

Disliked parachutes overall, tbh.

Players used it to quick loot the server. F1 kill and drop onto Launch, Dome, top of sewer tower, and other desirable places. A couple hazmats in your backpack and you can easily F1 kill, chute to dome, toss the loot to your backpack, F1 kill and chute to top of launch and repeat until you clear everything.  Also, the annoyance of inadvertently parachuting into player's bases and walled areas which is almost impossible to avoid a week after wipe on a higher pop server like Scourge.

• Like 20
  • Love 1

I'd love this ability - if only for the scenario of accidentally dropping out of a mini (or having to bail from SAMs). I'm sure it could give added entertainment of building a platform up high on a mountain and base jumping (maybe?).

I would not like people to be able to spawn randomly with a parachute - it should only be accessible while you are alive and falling. That would be my main consideration after reading the post by Aurora above. Air transport is of course a fun aspect of the game I love, and it takes resources to initiate and maintain - which I think gives a little more balance when it comes to "fast looting". Meanwhile, without having seen/experienced the parachute functionality it sounds like it would be available to players right from the start?

Can you have timers or a counter for the amount of parachute uses per real world hour/day?

Just some food for thought.

• Like 3

Hi Dad,

i vote yes. i see the issues against it. and agree that being able to f1 kill to do it again deff shouldn't be a thing. it should only be a first time spawn after wipe type of deal as a Welcome to Scourge ( auto-deploy?) My yes vote is mainly because i liked how new players would freak out in chat when they first spawn above the map (further implying this isnt you're average server) and if you're lucky you can hit em with a " AYO LAND POCHINKI ". (or the equivalent fortnight reference ) and get a good meme..in saying that i also strongly feel if parachutes cause issues with players with lower spec PC's or sorta ANYTHING in that nature, i would vote to leave them out for now. 

I am jus' a simple Meme'r, who's enjoy'd  meme'ing on this server for a long time now. 

1v1 Duel?, nO BaN pLiS  ❤️

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Thank you for the explanation. I waited a little bit to see what others had to say, since it was something you had in the past, but it does sound like an interesting idea, and I would like to at least try it out :)

I have to say, I appreciate you putting this up for a vote, it really shows a respect for the player's wants.

I wish more game server owners would do this.

• Like 2

I do not play scourge because, well... I'm actually scared of zombies... but I have some input on this topic nonetheless.

Anything that can be abused will be abused. If this mechanic is added in a way that allows players to get an edge it might ruin the standard scourge experience for those who choose not to abuse it.

With that said, if implemented correctly it sounds like a very fun mechanic, though it may require a decent amount of balancing which may make it not worth the effort.

Just my two cents on the topic anyways!

• Like 2

As long as it can't be used to cheaply circumvent monument puzzles, so probably not again available after the first spawn (not just a spawn without any bed, that can be re-used), it sounds fun. If it were to be available after then, if it could come at the cost of a heli then that might be sufficient deterrent. One could build a diving board next to launch, or jump out the back of your friends scrap heli a little out of range, and easily farm them if it was available on demand by simply being alive and falling. If you accidentally jump out of your heli, or run out of fuel, is the heli definitely toast or will it fall safely and survive? I don't use them, don't know.

Obviously you can just fly to dome or sewer with your minicopter already, but launch is safe(ish) because of the sams, perhaps ensuring the sams target parachuting players would be sufficient balancing, with a delay on reuse so it's at least not easier than coptering, or a hefty points cost? I vote maybe..

• Like 3

Hated it for all of the reasons Aurora mentioned and it imposes a bit of a performance hit due to the lack occlusion from that high up. It also looked very buggy / visually unappealing. I was pleased when it was removed.

I come to RustEZ because it has one of if not the best balanced modded experience which avoids falling into the modded out full kits for everyone battle royale loot n' shoot trash. I feel parachute spawning took away from the balanced experience seeing as Rust isn't supposed to be a battle royale game even in its vanilla form. Parachuting makes sense if you have it as an item and perform a base jump or out of a heli but not for spawning in.

Edited by WOrLdWAr2
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

big fat no for me

Not going to repeat what's already been said, but this ability will be abused. I've seen it used by players to cheese monuments and even on servers with NPC bases to get to them quickly. Unless it's been fixed, the player is in sort of a no-clip state when landing, so you can almost phase through walls. If that's no longer a thing, ignore that last statement.

• Like 2

• Staff

Can we just implement it without the respawn part? make it expensive in caps to use as respawn, but cheap for player use?  That would stop the F1 kill abuse of it.  Or make it landable on ground/water or player builds only, try landing on monument and its instant death.. just some thoughts

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Staff

Thank you all so much for your input. Your feedback is invaluable. I will indeed avoid our previous mistakes of allowing parachuting on respawning and instead work on a more dynamic system to enable players to parachute on demand while jumping from long distances or ditching vehicles in flight.

There will be a new item sold from the black market that will allow such functionality for players. More information to come! :)

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was not around for this feature, but it sounds like a unique and cool option! I can see the concern for people abusing it for their own gain as a downside, as well as the possibilities it could offer in a positive way, surely saving people from demise like I wish it could have me when I was sucked out of a hot air balloon, and plummeted to my death. Please enjoy a clip of my pain and my friends everlasting hysterical laughter at my misfortune😅

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Driftlocke said:

I was not around for this feature, but it sounds like a unique and cool option! I can see the concern for people abusing it for their own gain as a downside, as well as the possibilities it could offer in a positive way, surely saving people from demise like I wish it could have me when I was sucked out of a hot air balloon, and plummeted to my death. Please enjoy a clip of my pain and my friends everlasting hysterical laughter at my misfortune😅

Oh, honey! Do  you need a bandaid? 

Shannyn Sossamon Cringe GIF

• 7 months later...
  • Death unfeatured and unpinned this topic