Aurora's Freestanding Lights Trick

Aurora

I've shown a lot of players on US-Scourge how to do this, so I thought I'd share it here as well. While certainly not a game-changing tip, this lets you add fun and creative lighting to your base designs. 

To make this work, you will need:

• Basic electrical items (I used solar panel and battery in the video), wire tool
  • A sign (XL or XXL)
  • Materials to build a few foundations and walls (if it isn't placed on your base)
  • Deluxe Christmas Lights 
  • Salvaged hammer (remove tool)

This works best when you use a simple outline  --  think cookie cutter shapes or basic clip art. Images with a lot of detail will simply look like a blob of lights at night time. If you play on the modded servers you can use the sil feature to create the sign. On Pure you need to draw the basic shape by hand to get the outline you want.

1. Place foundations, walls and cover the walls with your XXL or XL sign.
2. Draw or use /sil (Scourge, Survival servers) to create a basic shape as a guide. 
     TIP: How to use sil: Look at the sign. In game chat, type /sil <url> (where the URL is a direct link to the image file).
3. Use the Deluxe Christmas Light to outline the shape.  
    - Don't place the control box on a wall that will be removed,  otherwise the remover tool will also remove the lights when you smack the  wall out. 
   - You need to keep stacking lights to your hot bar before you use the last one in your stack. The outline must be done in one single line.
4. When you have finished setting up your lights, use the salvaged hammer to remove the sign and then remove the walls, taking care not to hit any part of the placed lights. 
  - Removing the walls will destroy the sign (not return it your inventory) so remove the sign first.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Aurora changed the title to Aurora's Freestanding Lights Trick