New JPipe (syncPipes) System

SW4MP

Hello everyone

Now with the new JPipe system, I saw 2 BUG's for now, I don't know if they are already known or not, but here goes:

•  JPipe from Pump Jack (fuel tank) to Quarry (fuel tank): With the OFF status it continues to pass Low Grade Fuel to Quarry.
  •  In the JPipe I mentioned earlier, having the Auto Start option activated, Quarry starts its work, but only provides resources after approximately 10 minutes since it is working.

UPDATE:

The quarry, worked for 2 minutes and then, keep working but didn't give me nothing at output.

I needed to disable auto start and start quarry manually for it to work normally

If i discover some more, i edit this topic.

Edited by SW4MP

Hi @Death

Pipes when disabled, resources continue to pass.

I take the opportunity to leave some notes:

• This new system is faster and allows you to select the speed at which you want the resources to be removed from one box to the other, allowing, in the case of Quarrys, to have a better performance.
  • It is more pleasing to the eye.

• The split system no longer "jumps" the mouse when it is pressed several times to increase or decrease the amount.

If I got more bugs, I'tell you here.

• Like 1

• Death changed the title to New JPipe (syncPipes) System

full disclosure... im "quite" new to rust; the bulk of my previous experience revolves around minecraft server development and level programming. 
I'd come to this server to learn as much as humanly possible about rust game mechanics and rust modded servers, as in the future I plan to develop and host my own rust servers that are pretty much adaptations of classic game modes you would find in games like minecraft(factions, survival, skyblock, acid island, prison, etc)... but ported to rust and umod.

~
anyways...
this morning before work id taken the time to manually switch over all the old jpipes in my factory for the new syncpipes(ofc experimenting along the way), near as I can tell syncpipes is arguably a superior plugin functionality wise.

previously with the jpipes system id pretty much built a differential computer to move items around and split stacks... scooping off just the right amount to keep my pumpjacks functioning while also diverting the excess to where ever(a chest, a quarry, a vending machine), to achieve this with jpipes I had to use less upgraded pipes at storage junctions.

this setup worked quite well, at most id have to reprime my refineries after a server restart.

this new syncpipes setup on the other hand does away with the need to use differing qualities of pipes to achieve this effect, you can simply select which pipe has priority.
in the future this will be quite handy, as it allows for greater flow control  and will allow for players to build much superior differential item sorting machines.

unfortunately however superior this new setup is, there are a few short comings that should be addressed.(short comings that arnt exactly your fault, they are just development oversights)
I will list them in point form and add to the list as I think up more:

1. syncpipes leading to vending machines will only transport 1 and only 1 material type at a time regardless of what is set in the filter.
too clarify, if you have a chest filled with a mixture of items... sulphur, hqm, metal fragments, etc... the sync pipe will choose only one of those items and get stuck on transporting only that item regardless if its become idle from running out of that item.
you could have 10 stacks of stone and 1 stack of sulphur, and if its stuck on sulphur... thats all its going to transport period.

2. within syncpipes configuration there is no facility developed to set the flow control of items other then the 5 listed in its configuration(wood, stone, sulphur ore, metal ore, high quality metal ore), even if you buffed the 5 listed... players are going to run into bottle necking issues with other materials such as crude oil, lgf, and other items that are  not "raw" materials... which are all locked at a much lower rate then raw materials.

as a matter of QOL, this should be corrected by the developer and improved upon.

3. syncpipes developer should implement a less static method for handling item flow speeds, ideally something permission based; imma wager that would give server op's alot more control over "how" and by "who" the plugin is used by.

in the case of jpipes, this was handled by pipe quality, in syncpipes their material quality has no bearing on flow speeds.(far as I can tell) 

4. demolishing syncpipes via command and wooden hammer is kinda clunky, this could benefit from some remover tool plugin(I presume thats what is utilized in your plugin stack) compatibility worked into its code.
the developer could consider "borrowing" some code ideas from jpipes, as they seem to have that functionality working quite well.

Edited by theblobinc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, theblobinc said:

in the case of jpipes, this was handled by pipe quality, in syncpipes their material quality has no bearing on flow speeds.(far as I can tell) 

I think that's how syncpipes does work though (flow rate is determined by level of pipe upgrade.. just like jpipes). It's just slower. I want to say top tier on jpipes was 100.. could be wrong though.

toptier.jpg.jpg

twig.jpg.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr bong said:

I think that's how syncpipes does work though (flow rate is determined by level of pipe upgrade.. just like jpipes). It's just slower. I want to say top tier on jpipes was 100.. could be wrong though.

toptier.jpg.jpg

twig.jpg.jpg

you are correct about that, I suppose my 3rd point is a bit moot.

on the other hand... configuration options found here suggest flow options might be a bit more complicated then a simple item/s
https://umod.org/plugins/sync-pipes#configuration-file

they can def buff things, been reading into things more.
this is infact a highly customizable plugin.
the developer here def put alot of time into it.

regarding my 2nd and 3nd point's,  I misread how the pipes are setup, but the suggestion to change how things are statically laid out remains.
there is already an existing permission system, but from it you cannot set the flow rates for specific individuals or user groups.
all you can configure via permissions are how many pipes a user or group can have and to what predefined level they can upgrade their pipes.

you cannot for instance give a user or group a temporary increase to their flow rate(a booster), or give them an entirely different rate per level then somebody from another permission group would have.

having this sort of stuff handled by permissions is alot more neat and tidy.

Edited by theblobinc
corrections.
  • Like 1

Hi guys. I'm the developer of SyncPipes. All suggestions are welcome, I'm still actively developing the plugin and trying to resolve issues as they come up. Some of the issues reported below have now been fixed.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:23 AM, theblobinc said:

1. syncpipes leading to vending machines will only transport 1 and only 1 material type at a time regardless of what is set in the filter.
too clarify, if you have a chest filled with a mixture of items... sulphur, hqm, metal fragments, etc... the sync pipe will choose only one of those items and get stuck on transporting only that item regardless if its become idle from running out of that item.
you could have 10 stacks of stone and 1 stack of sulphur, and if its stuck on sulphur... thats all its going to transport period.

2. within syncpipes configuration there is no facility developed to set the flow control of items other then the 5 listed in its configuration(wood, stone, sulphur ore, metal ore, high quality metal ore), even if you buffed the 5 listed... players are going to run into bottle necking issues with other materials such as crude oil, lgf, and other items that are  not "raw" materials... which are all locked at a much lower rate then raw materials.

as a matter of QOL, this should be corrected by the developer and improved upon.

3. syncpipes developer should implement a less static method for handling item flow speeds, ideally something permission based; imma wager that would give server op's alot more control over "how" and by "who" the plugin is used by.

4. demolishing syncpipes via command and wooden hammer is kinda clunky, this could benefit from some remover tool plugin(I presume thats what is utilized in your plugin stack) compatibility worked into its code.
the developer could consider "borrowing" some code ideas from jpipes, as they seem to have that functionality working quite well.

1.  There is an issue with oxide which means moving items to a vending machine will never remove the end of a stack. I've added a work around in the latest version to resolve this.
  2. The current flow rates are set by the building material the pipe is made from (sticks, wood, metal, HQM). I'm currently working on a new system of pipes that should help to extend this and make it more flexible.
  3. That's a good idea I hadn't thought of it. Adding flow rates by user level should be doable.
  4. I'm not sure why the salvaged hammer doesn't work to remove pipes. There may be a damage handler on the pipe that is getting in the way. I'll see if I can find out.

If you have any further questions or suggestions I'm happy to investigate them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Myself and a few others are having issues with the pipes not working on US Survival. I've always set up my pipes the same way every wipe. We're not getting the correct fuel amount for a level 5 pumpjack. I turned the auto start off to see if that would help but it hasn't. I usually have less than 5k fuel in my pumpjack and around 2-3k in the two quarries I run.