RustEZ is overpoliced and Enforces Unreasonable Punishments for Minor Offenses

James2116

I have played a lot of servers over the years, mainly Garry's Mod servers. RustEZ was one of the few Rust servers I played because PvP servers can be stressful and rage inducing. RustEZ was the most popular PvE server I found so it was my go to server. Overall, I was disappointed by how strict and unreasonable some of the rules are regarding what can/cannot be said in chat. To my surprise, saying a single word can result in a permanent ban without warning. Not only that, but staff members police the chat like it's Germany in the 1940s. Simply talking about music that I like resulted in me receiving a warning because it was deemed "too negative" and ultimately I received a couple of bans without even being brought into an admin sit for minor things. Please note this is not a ban appeal. I have no desire to even play Rust anymore due to the bad experiences I encountered on this server. This server is very woke and very much appeals to the cancel culture ideology that many radical leftists advocate for. If I had my guess, the owner is likely to be a strong liberal who throws his beliefs on others with unreasonably harsh rules. I am very much against racism, homophobia, ect... and I never said anything derogatory to anyone on this server. However, the overpolicing is very apparent and to my surprise many players on the server actually support this. I simply do not understand it. I consider myself a libertarian so I always lean on the side of a more relaxed and freedom based atmosphere. I say some stupid things in chat, all of which were times when I was drunk and decided to play and talk to some people. Literally all my bans were from me being drunk and saying stupid shit that wasn't even offensive by any means. I get it, you are trying to filter out the toxicity in the server, but if someone says something that isn't racist, homophobic, xenophobic, political, ect... Why should they receive a permanent ban? Especially when they were not insulting anyone else or being mean to someone. I don't understand it to be quite honest. When I played Garry's Mod the n word was not an automatic permanent ban. At the most a first time offense would be a 30 day ban. Personally, I think the punishment system needs to be updated because getting banned permanently is very easy and I think it is quite ridiculous. Has the radical left really infiltrated Rust? Is this what the world is coming to? Cancelling people simply because they express their views is not a good practice for any server and I think the owner needs to be made aware of this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, rubiks-q-bert said:

So... You admit all your bans have come from you being drunk and saying "stupid shit" and yet you want to blame the admins? I don't think they are the problem.

The problem is that saying stupid shit results in a permanent ban. When I say stupid shit I am not talking about anything derogatory and malicious, just harmless goofing around...

4 hours ago, James2116 said:

I have played a lot of servers over the years, mainly Garry's Mod servers. RustEZ was one of the few Rust servers I played because PvP servers can be stressful and rage inducing. RustEZ was the most popular PvE server I found so it was my go to server. Overall, I was disappointed by how strict and unreasonable some of the rules are regarding what can/cannot be said in chat. To my surprise, saying a single word can result in a permanent ban without warning. Not only that, but staff members police the chat like it's Germany in the 1940s. Simply talking about music that I like resulted in me receiving a warning because it was deemed "too negative" and ultimately I received a couple of bans without even being brought into an admin sit for minor things. Please note this is not a ban appeal. I have no desire to even play Rust anymore due to the bad experiences I encountered on this server. This server is very woke and very much appeals to the cancel culture ideology that many radical leftists advocate for. If I had my guess, the owner is likely to be a strong liberal who throws his beliefs on others with unreasonably harsh rules. I am very much against racism, homophobia, ect... and I never said anything derogatory to anyone on this server. However, the overpolicing is very apparent and to my surprise many players on the server actually support this. I simply do not understand it. I consider myself a libertarian so I always lean on the side of a more relaxed and freedom based atmosphere. I say some stupid things in chat, all of which were times when I was drunk and decided to play and talk to some people. Literally all my bans were from me being drunk and saying stupid shit that wasn't even offensive by any means. I get it, you are trying to filter out the toxicity in the server, but if someone says something that isn't racist, homophobic, xenophobic, political, ect... Why should they receive a permanent ban? Especially when they were not insulting anyone else or being mean to someone. I don't understand it to be quite honest. When I played Garry's Mod the n word was not an automatic permanent ban. At the most a first time offense would be a 30 day ban. Personally, I think the punishment system needs to be updated because getting banned permanently is very easy and I think it is quite ridiculous. Has the radical left really infiltrated Rust? Is this what the world is coming to? Cancelling people simply because they express their views is not a good practice for any server and I think the owner needs to be made aware of this.

Man this was a lot to take in. Pretty funny of you to say you're not racist, yet you drop n-bombs in chat when you're "drunk" that's a yikes for me.

Sheeeesh

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, GREENG1ANT said:

Man this was a lot to take in. Pretty funny of you to say you're not racist, yet you drop n-bombs in chat when you're "drunk" that's a yikes for me.

Sheeeesh

I've never dropped n-bombs ever on this server? I've been warned once by North for talking about gangs in Chicago, banned by Kyuss which you can see my appeal on the forums, and banned by AMSullivan for "toxic behavior" which I literally don't understand at all. Try again though 🙂 I've never said anything like that on this server, I simply said that the punishments should be reduced for those types of violations, but should still be against the rules. ie: 30 day bans instead of permanent bans for first time violations

• Like 1

Ah, see I assumed you got banned for racism, since you started focusing on that topic so much. I will say there is a zero tolerance policy on racism. There is a massive number of autobans for people that test the limits of what they can get away with. I think it's completely deserved, people that go dropping racist shit in chat don't belong in any community quite frankly. I'll also add, Sullivan is an awesome admin, if they banned you for being toxic, I have no doubt you were being toxic and thus deserved the hammer. Hopefully you can find a community that is accepting of the type of person you choose to be.

• Haha 1

Is being an admin meant having to supervise players like you? It looks like it. Giving you a ban seems to be easier on them since they don't get paid to do it and you seem to be causing a lot of disruptions to them.

These are community servers so they can set their own rules, they don't have to make the rules on what you think should be fair for you. You have to consider what you said about these servers being the most popular PVE servers, it must be for a reason. Maybe they are popular because they are monitored for offensive language and toxicity, not like the PVP server where they only ban for Cheaters. But even facepunch is now banning for racism, toxicity etc. 

There is also no room on RustEZ to express your political views as this is an area where people are trying to escape toxicity and political debates or attacks.

So if you return from this 30day ban they would still need to supervise you and watch you for everything you say?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

P.S. I read what they said about what you put in global chat in your appeal.

It's pretty much language to instigate. And being overly perverted while mentioning some people of color

It's language that doesn't belong in this community. 

Edited by aNoNiM
  • Like 1

Behaving  in a way that is contrary to the community standards, and using provocative language on the server is not welcomed. You were advised of these facts, and others, multiple times prior to any disciplinary actions. 

You are all for freedom of speech, your rights, etc. That's great! Embrace you! We get that, and we're glad you have the freedom in your life to do so. RustEZ is not in that part of your world. We have a reasonable set of guidelines for acceptable behaviors and language. They aren't difficult to follow, and it is not asking too much.

You made decisions that effected your place within our community.  Those consequences rest solely on your shoulders.

I do genuinely wish you well, and I do hope you find a new server to play on. 
Take care.

~G

• Like 2
  • Love 3

22 minutes ago, rubiks-q-bert said:

The fact that you got North and Sullivan to ban you, being they are 2 of the most tolerant admins I have come across, says a lot about you. But good luck in your future endeavors. 

North didn't ban me though? I literally just got a warn from them... Kyuss and AMSullivan were the ones that banned me both were perma bans but I got the one from Kyuss appealed...

Anywho, maybe don't get drunk and play Rust? If you're going to keep saying controversial things that is. I don't know Kyuss as he got admin after I switched servers but Sullivan is nice as can be but a stickler for the rules. If she banned you, you were in the wrong. Simple as that.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 1:44 AM, James2116 said:

The problem is that saying stupid shit results in a permanent ban. When I say stupid shit I am not talking about anything derogatory and malicious, just harmless goofing around...

There's your problem.

Right there. What you consider 'harmless goofing around' is what those of us who play on these servers consider negative, with a zero tolerance policy. That you've read and agreed to. But you decided to get inebriated and play a game that you knew that restrictive rules to begin with, and then you complain because you broke those rules, and blamed it on the drink?

I wish you well in your future endeavors... maybe you can find a server that you can get drunk and tell jokes on. But this isn't one of them. 

3 hours ago, Darktweets said:

There's your problem.

Right there. What you consider 'harmless goofing around' is what those of us who play on these servers consider negative, with a zero tolerance policy. That you've read and agreed to. But you decided to get inebriated and play a game that you knew that restrictive rules to begin with, and then you complain because you broke those rules, and blamed it on the drink?

I wish you well in your future endeavors... maybe you can find a server that you can get drunk and tell jokes on. But this isn't one of them. 

So you are saying we can't have fun and goof around if nobody is being harmed or offended in the process? The reason I play video games is to have fun and goof around with friends making jokes that aren't offensive or derogatory. I was never mean to anyone and after overlooking the rules I fail to see any rules that were broken. My theory is the staff members did not like me and wanted me gone so they used their powers to do so without any evident rule breaking being present.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, James2116 said:

So you are saying we can't have fun and goof around if nobody is being harmed or offended in the process? The reason I play video games is to have fun and goof around with friends making jokes that aren't offensive or derogatory. I was never mean to anyone and after overlooking the rules I fail to see any rules that were broken. My theory is the staff members did not like me and wanted me gone so they used their powers to do so without any evident rule breaking being present.

According to your ban report, we know that to be false. Gross and offensive. You admit to having several temp bans. I find it highly unlikely that you were not warned multiple times as that is the M.O. of admins. Not sure what you expect to gain from this post. But it's ultimately just best that you find somewhere that isn't "overpoliced" as you say. Good luck!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rubiks-q-bert said:

According to your ban report, we know that to be false. Gross and offensive. You admit to having several temp bans. I find it highly unlikely that you were not warned multiple times as that is the M.O. of admins. Not sure what you expect to gain from this post. But it's ultimately just best that you find somewhere that isn't "overpoliced" as you say. Good luck!

1 warn, 1 perm ban that got reduced to 24 hrs after appeal, and the last perm ban. So I was basically warned once, unless you count the ban that got appealed as a warning. I also fail to see how one would find it offensive for the things that were said. Typically, I think of racism, xenophobia, ect as offensive. I guess if you really wanted me gone, the rules could be bended to fit the mold you are trying to fill tho

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, James2116 said:

1 warn, 1 perm ban that got reduced to 24 hrs after appeal, and the last perm ban. So I was basically warned once, unless you count the ban that got appealed as a warning. I also fail to see how one would find it offensive for the things that were said. Typically, I think of racism, xenophobia, ect as offensive. I guess if you really wanted me gone, the rules could be bended to fit the mold you are trying to fill tho

To be frank, you shouldn't even need one warning. Just be a decent human being. I feel like there is way more to this, but we will never know since admins don't talk about other players. Anywho, dead topic is dead. Have a good one. Again, best of luck to you finding a more suitable server.

2 minutes ago, rubiks-q-bert said:

To be frank, you shouldn't even need one warning. Just be a decent human being. I feel like there is way more to this, but we will never know since admins don't talk about other players. Anywho, dead topic is dead. Have a good one. Again, best of luck to you finding a more suitable server.

prolly just gonna delete steam and move on with my life anyways, bye

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Granny locked this topic