Rules - "click here first"

Darktweets

Perhaps something in the announcements, or something either on battlemetrics, or maybe a link in the /rules indicating to find this at rustez.com/forums/ServerRules or something.

the 5 basic rules are functional, /info can be found on Survival, but not elsewhere.

We seriously need a 'ruleset' or FAQ that can be immediately functional, or an automated email into the box of the person who creates a RustEz user account. Something that points them to the rules, and then uses examples on what 'not to do'.  Maybe even a link to a discord post where they would have to click on it in agreement before gaining access to whatever server their in. Something that would expedite the issues and list some of those unwritten rules. 

Like there's the no-stealing rule, or griefing, but there's not examples. Gamers tend to thrive on examples of what to do or not to do.

I'll give my own example. Someone blocked off a river with a bunch of foundations not connected to a TC. Just simple stuff. No admin online, and clearly blocking the area - so I dropped a TC so I could affect the foundations, removed some so that I could get past, and then picked up the TC. It registered somewhere, because I'm not supposed to remove another person's stuff, and I got a console warning because of it...a few days later. I asked about it, and had to get a message about the situation. It wasn't tied to anyone, it wasn't something I thought about, but it was a warning. 

Some way of using Discord #help to indicate that pinned messages at the top of the forums should be examined first, so that the same questions aren't repeated time and time again. or that people know to tag their server. 

Examples and instructions that are both detailed and visually based. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Darktweets said:

Like there's the no-stealing rule, or griefing, but there's not examples. Gamers tend to thrive on examples of what to do or not to do.

I'll give my own example. 

There is no circumstance in which players doing an action that is listed in a server rule does not = breaking the rules.   

But what if…? No.
But what about when …? No.
But I wasn't doing it to intentionally… ? No.
But it was on a sign..? No.
But I was drunk..? No.
But I was here first..? No.
But they called me a twat first..? No.
But they took my horse so I decided to...? No.
But the door was unlocked…? No.
But it was just a joke bruh…? No.
But they blocked the waterway so I placed a TC and removed their stuff…? No. 
(Etc.)

There is no example when it is okay to not abide by the 5 basic server rules. There's no justification that a player can provide that will result in an admin saying "Oh, yeah it's ok to break the rules this time because your situation makes it okay to do so."

"No / You may not" means no, don't do it.  Don't try to justify it. 

And remember:  If you're unsure, ask an admin. That's why we are here! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

20 hours ago, Aurora said:

There is no circumstance in which players doing an action that is listed in a server rule does not = breaking the rules.   

But what if…? No.
But what about when …? No.
But I wasn't doing it to intentionally… ? No.
But it was on a sign..? No.
But I was drunk..? No.
But I was here first..? No.
But they called me a twat first..? No.
But they took my horse so I decided to...? No.
But the door was unlocked…? No.
But it was just a joke bruh…? No.
But they blocked the waterway so I placed a TC and removed their stuff…? No. 
(Etc.)

There is no example when it is okay to not abide by the 5 basic server rules. There's no justification that a player can provide that will result in an admin saying "Oh, yeah it's ok to break the rules this time because your situation makes it okay to do so."

"No / You may not" means no, don't do it.  Don't try to justify it. 

And remember:  If you're unsure, ask an admin. That's why we are here! 🙂 

I was more thinking of a global FAQ or something that players could have a link to that could be posted in the /rules or something. or a welcome screen that every single player has to click on in order to gain access to the game. Even just a simple thing like what you posted above. where 'if its a grey area, assume that the admins know the answer, and don't try and justify your ideas'. concept. 

simple and easy to understand. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Darktweets said:

I was more thinking of a global FAQ or something that players could have a link to that could be posted in the /rules or something. or a welcome screen that every single player has to click on in order to gain access to the game. Even just a simple thing like what you posted above. where 'if its a grey area, assume that the admins know the answer, and don't try and justify your ideas'. concept. 

simple and easy to understand. 

They've got a welcome screen on scourge that people have to click continue on. Dosen't stop people from getting auto banned or asking if there is PvP. So yea, don't think that's gunna work. Headed in the right direction though.

21 hours ago, GREENG1ANT said:

They've got a welcome screen on scourge that people have to click continue on. Dosen't stop people from getting auto banned or asking if there is PvP. So yea, don't think that's gunna work. Headed in the right direction though.

That's what I'm hoping for.

On another server I was on, new players were instantly ported to a town, in a jail, where they had to read the rules, and then affirm that they had read them with a note. Signed by that player in a dropbox of some type. Don't know if its applicable, or possible, but it might cut down on some of the bans? 

• Love 1

I would like to believe this would work but unfortunately there are idiots everywhere and unfortunately since this game was meant to be pvp it has one of the most toxic player bases so the toxic people will trickle over and have to be weeded out it is unfortunate but dont think there is a way to completely stop it or lower it more than death and the admins are currently doing

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 7:05 AM, Darktweets said:

Perhaps something in the announcements, or something either on battlemetrics, or maybe a link in the /rules indicating to find this at rustez.com/forums/ServerRules or something.

the 5 basic rules are functional, /info can be found on Survival, but not elsewhere.

We seriously need a 'ruleset' or FAQ that can be immediately functional, or an automated email into the box of the person who creates a RustEz user account. Something that points them to the rules, and then uses examples on what 'not to do'.  Maybe even a link to a discord post where they would have to click on it in agreement before gaining access to whatever server their in. Something that would expedite the issues and list some of those unwritten rules. 

I'll give my own example. Someone blocked off a river with a bunch of foundations not connected to a TC. Just simple stuff. No admin online, and clearly blocking the area - so I dropped a TC so I could affect the foundations, removed some so that I could get past, and then picked up the TC. It registered somewhere, because I'm not supposed to remove another person's stuff, and I got a console warning because of it...a few days later. I asked about it, and had to get a message about the situation. It wasn't tied to anyone, it wasn't something I thought about, but it was a warning. 

Some way of using Discord #help to indicate that pinned messages at the top of the forums should be examined first, so that the same questions aren't repeated time and time again. or that people know to tag their server. 

Examples and instructions that are both detailed and visually based. 

Good fucking luck. I started something similar months upon months ago with basically being told it's fine as is. There needs to be something more in depth to point people to on the forums or a more in depth popup in game if you type /rules or something like that.

• Like 1

I absolutely agree with a lot of your comments @Darktweets. Your points are valid. Some just use the feedback forums to complain about admins and vent, so I just want to say that I appreciate players who take time to post positive, constructive feedback and suggestions.

You mentioned porting player to town, pop-ups, and info screens.  From a Survival or Scourge player's perspective that makes sense.  If RustEZ were only modded servers, these sorts of things could be done. But we're not. Pure is a Community server, and therefore limitations on what can be used (i.e. no /info type screens, pop-ups, menus, teleports and so on). 

To communicate rules off the server (i.e. an inbox message) would require players to create an EZ account on the website or or Discord. That's not something we would force on players. If your first experience was to connect to a server to play Rust and you were blocked until you loaded a website and created an account, most new players would simply quit and click the next server on the list. 

Basically, server rules are provided in the one place all players are: on the server (game info screen and /rules). There is a max character limit for text display here, and we're using it. 

Hopefully that helps you understand why our server rules limited to the servers. We know it's not a perfect system, and we work on it when and where we can.  

And no, you don't have to agree with it -- but that's what we have, plus an active staff and solid player base who work as a community to weed out what an auto-ban script can't catch. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

• Staff

I think its really sweet @Darktweets the idea that more exposure to rules would cut down the amount of bans. Bans are a last resort, there's effort made on behalf of the admins and the wonderful community to make players aware that (if) what they are doing is against the rules and that's not going to deter every player from doing it again.

IMHO; If rules were more in depth we'd find many people complaining that it's too much to read, people would come up with more complex loopholes, people would still break rules and blame the rules for not being in depth enough.
You made a mistake, be kind to yourself. ❤️

• Love 1

Not even so much "in depth" as some things just need to be added/amended. There is definitely confusion over some things. I've seen it. But it's whatever. Leaderships go to response is "it's fine" and "that's what admins are for". Severely resistant to change. Old adage, if it aint broke, don't fix it... Just because it's not broke, doesn't mean it can't be better. 

But I do agree, change, don't change, not gonna make everyone happy either way.

Edited by rubiks-q-bert