Decay on to get rid of massive bases.

Speciekuip

Hello, I'm Speciekuip and playing at EU Survival.

Since the last few wipes we see a massive grow on peeps playing on survival what is cool but most of all people are building massive bases.

Clearly everone is using an own quarry (or multiple) in the backyard and some have  pumpjacks too.

Now everybody is getting so much stuff why is decay still off? Is there a possibility to putt decay on nextwipe? Another good part is that it will take away the stuttering when flying a minicopter over the map because all those massive bases have to load. Im running a RTX2070Super but everytime i fly over the map it is massively rubberbanding because of to much enteties that have to load.

Let me know your thoughts! 🙂

• Like 2

I would also be ok with normal decay being implemented across the servers, but with some other needed changes. It is so easy to gather resources that it probably won't have too large of an impact on builds, but it may help some on the mega bases. My only fear is that more will use twig to keep the upkeep down and what we think will improve the lag, will instead make it worse by more people using twig due to upkeep needs. I feel that for regular upkeep to have a significant impact then there must be a limit to the length of time a base can remain twig also. Something like limiting twig to 48 hours before elevated decay sets in, making it cheaper to have as wood versus twig after 48 hours would help rid the servers of massive twig bases. I am against limiting the size of bases on any of the servers. If someone wants to make a massive base then good for them, but they will need to get theirs hands on a lot of upkeep to maintain it. I have zero idea how easy it would be to configure that for the dev team, or if they have any interest in making that type of change to their servers though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I came back this wipe and all I see most places is obnoxiously huge composter farms.  I finally found a chill quiet spot on my map and now I have someone building a giant oil refinery right in the middle of the down hill view from my base.  If I wanted to live in an industrial zone, I'd play something like Satisfactory.

I played with compost farming, just to see how it worked.  If I can use FOUR composters to earn a couple grand in scrap in a two days, I don't understand why people need to build 100+ composter farms.  I agree that changing decay rates or upkeep rates probably won't change anything.  But as long as people build stupidly giant bases just to horde stuff or to stroke their own ego, the servers are going to be giant lag monsters and not worth the time playing.

Edited by SCE_Wraith
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 6:04 AM, dave40262000 said:

I would also be ok with normal decay being implemented across the servers, but with some other needed changes. It is so easy to gather resources that it probably won't have too large of an impact on builds, but it may help some on the mega bases. My only fear is that more will use twig to keep the upkeep down and what we think will improve the lag, will instead make it worse by more people using twig due to upkeep needs. I feel that for regular upkeep to have a significant impact then there must be a limit to the length of time a base can remain twig also. Something like limiting twig to 48 hours before elevated decay sets in, making it cheaper to have as wood versus twig after 48 hours would help rid the servers of massive twig bases. I am against limiting the size of bases on any of the servers. If someone wants to make a massive base then good for them, but they will need to get theirs hands on a lot of upkeep to maintain it. I have zero idea how easy it would be to configure that for the dev team, or if they have any interest in making that type of change to their servers though. 

I feel like reduced decay would be okay to be fair. I have ran into a bunch of people on the server this wipe who are on the newer side of the game and they are still learning to build. yeah it can suck that people have huge bases but even on vanilla my small group on facepunch main would have a 17k frag upkeep and I wouldnt want to have people on a PVE server have to deal with that. yes big bases can be annoying because you can back so much into a base that is a modified 2x2 but its nice having an open planb and just having everything where you want it. i see it from both sides. it sucks living next to a base that casts a shadow on yours but at the same time its most peoples only chance to ever have something that big or they just had fun building. seeing a 12 story tall armored tower is pretty cool though. I have always seen these servers as a good way to have fun and not have to deal with pvp but its nice after playing thousands of hours on facepunch main and rustified its kinda relaxing building whatever you want.

• Like 2

In all honesty I doubt decay will solve this problem. The very nature of PvE makes it easy to gather resources uncontested and stockpile it. Players will simply divert the many, many boxes of mats they keep on salvaged shelves to their TC.

Decay, while it might impact a handful of players who build large, the biggest impact will be to our single (non-team) players and our casual players in the community. Even a duo can farm enough mats in 2 days to last a whole wipe with decay. But a single player or casual player who just logs in a few times a week will be the ones who struggle with this -- and chances are they are not the players who are excessively building and farming.  That's just my $0.02 general commentary on the topic.

In saying that, I absolutely, 100% agree that the composter farms are an issue. Death has made changes on the backend to improve this by making it more taxing on players who do this, but obviously more work is needed here, as evident by the forum posts and in-game chatter about how it impacts your experience on the servers. It might be time to take this one back to the drawing board and discuss internally what changes we can make on the backend that will mitigate this without punishing everyone else (i.e. the vast majority of our community of players who are not doing this in an excessive manner).

• Love 2

On 2/20/2022 at 5:36 PM, Speciekuip said:

Hello, I'm Speciekuip and playing at EU Survival.

Since the last few wipes we see a massive grow on peeps playing on survival what is cool but most of all people are building massive bases.

Clearly everone is using an own quarry (or multiple) in the backyard and some have  pumpjacks too.

Now everybody is getting so much stuff why is decay still off? Is there a possibility to putt decay on nextwipe? Another good part is that it will take away the stuttering when flying a minicopter over the map because all those massive bases have to load. Im running a RTX2070Super but everytime i fly over the map it is massively rubberbanding because of to much enteties that have to load.

Let me know your thoughts! 🙂

I think that we need a limit of TC's for each player...

I know that the map is really big and we have space for everyone but there is some situations that are just "stupid".

In my opinion, I accept "massive constructions", they are just beautiful and is kind of entertaining explore those massive buildings and check outside how did someone build that... BUT, in one side of the road.

On Survival PVE, there is at least 2 constructions over the public road and this, on my opinion, it's abusive.

Every time I'm walking around the map, I see some random TC's planted.

I've seen also, 1 TC near a Quarry or a Pump, that's ok, but like 50 meters away from that TC, on a area that is nothing build, we have another one!! 

My question is, this last TC is saving what?

Or even better! I've seen a TC planted right next to a river! For what? "Reserving" that stop at the river side to build in the last wipe day?

Thanks and have fun all 🙂 

Edited by SW4MP

Yeah, I understand using TCs for maintaining a perimeter or yard area around their base, but it's ugly as heck.  And it can be used in abusive ways.

I wish people in general would respect base proximity outside of just TC radius.  I've had a few times were players built as close as possible to my lone base and I'm like, "dude, your messing with my ability to expand my base and my sanity."

I had a nice spot with a view this wipe and some asshat dropped a 15 refinery industrial complex right in the middle of it and as close to my base as they could.

I love the RustEZ community and have supported it as I can, but the US servers are just too damn crowded for them to be playable anymore most days.

• Like 1