Things To Avoid // Taxing System

JayOnyx

Hi all,

So I am a new player to the RustEZ server. I was just curious what would be the most taxing on the server that players could consider to avoid lagging the server. For Example I have 3 level 10 pumpjacks I place in a isolated desert area, since if i place them at my base outside of  bandit camp I felt  1) it would be very loud 2) it would cause lots of lag in a populated area. However, If i could get feedback from player/s on what to avoid in regards to what is causing people to get frame drops I could be more aware of what to avoid(Lighting, Walls, etc.) . I run a 2070  RTX super card with a i9 so my experience would be very different from someone with integrated graphics but its very useful to know what could affect other players. 

In my experience (rocking a potato for a PC), there are two types of slow-down - 1) very complex bases take time to load and cause rubber-banding, and 2) some bases hit the GPU hard and reduce frame rate. Sometimes it's both 🙂

Examples of 1) are lots of deployable things (most of @rubiks-q-bert's list above) and lots of complicated architecture (I don't personally notice much problem with twig but huge towers, mazes, anything with loads and loads of walls/floors of all types), and 2) is usually caused by heavy use of lighting, particularly the new industrial lights (those hit me very hard) and the rainbow dance floor.

Farms! I'm pretty sure huge farms slow me down, perhaps because of the lighting? It's hard to be certain but sometimes I pass by large suspicious warehouses that lag me out but I can't see what's inside.

Thank you for your consideration, it's nice of you to think of us underprivileged gamers 😄

o gotcha thanks yea i think (next wipe) I will be more aware of. As far as  Complex bases go can you explain a little what is defined as complex @sirlagsalot. For example if I build a 6 high wall base that is a essentially a square (6x6) made of stone  and then i partition everything accordingly  inside that wouldn't be complex correct?  you are referring to a PVP reverse ceiling roof type base with a barrier wall? I just want to make sure.

80% of players build in the green starter area of the map, along the roads, usually near low level monuments & Bandit camp. Bases line both sides of the road, creating what we (un)affectionately call "Lag Alley". It's ironic because the players that (usually) complain most about lag are the ones that live in Lag Alley. Stay away from rivers in the green areas as well. Multi-level farms with 100+ large plots, 1000s of sprinklers, pumps and wind turbines line those rivers.

If you want to cut down on lag, head to the opposite side of the map, the desert or snow biomes, where high level monuments like Launch are located. Much quieter there.

• Like 1

I don't want to tell people how to play because different players like to do different things.  But I don't understand why people need to build giant industrial farms and oil fields to horde resources they are never going to use.  Or sell out of because a lot of players are doing the same thing.  Like there are other games like Factoria or Satisfactory if you wanna do the industrial grind for grind sake.  All it does is lag out the server and make things unplayable for others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...