Base Limits

Justin6481

After playing on RustEZ for so long, I have seen the good and bad. One of the main issues I see the most is Server lag due to these super big bases which aren't called for. While I do believe people should be able to build freely, I also believe in doing what's right for everyone rather than the certain few. Here is what I suggest below.

Foundation limit: 50-75 PER BASE

Height limit: 15-20

6 bases PER PLAYER or 16 per team Team if it's a big team.

20-25 Sprinklers per player

40-50 lights per base

30 Pictures

Twig must be upgraded to at least Wood

Why? Because users having super big bases causes lag and well issues for everyone else. While it's not ALWAYS the bases being the issue, It still plays a major part in the servers performance. 

I understand some people will have an issue with this, But something you need to think about is, Do you want the server to run better or do you just want to build super big bases cause you can? If there was a need for them then I'd understand but there are people with 1-3 people in groups making HUGE bases which are uncalled for and ruin people's enjoyment just for the few to have what they want. If this suggestion doesn't pass, It is what it is. But I do ask that you think hard about it before commenting. Thank you for taking the time to read, I will be frequently watching this to reply to any comments / questions. 

• Like 1

I think big builds can be fine within reason, like building a castle in a remote corner of the map.  I've seen some really cool stuff built on the servers, and I can be okay with it when it's built to purpose.

At the same time I can understand wanting to limit things to not impact the server.  For myself this is part of why giant farms upset me.  There is no good reason to run a 300+ composter farm.  Or have a floor with 100 furnaces in a row.  Or dropping 20 refineries into a walled off cluster.  It's stupidly excessive.  The people who do this and disregard the well known poor optimization of Rust in my opinion have selfish tendencies and don't care about how it impacts the community.

If people want to run giant industrial complexes, there are other games specifically geared towards that like Factoria and Satisfactory.  Doing it in Rust is disruptive to basic server and client operation.

Maybe have the admins build a player base at the start which everyone uses and ban building everywhere else, these could work to a theme (a monastry, hotel, prison, cruise ship) each wipe. Every player gets allocated a 1x2 room with a little window, a bed and some space for storage, everything else like furnaces, work benches etc are communal. You'd add a little area for heli and car parking.
You might suffer a wee bit of stutter in the commune, but the rest of the map would be free to roam without issue and without some of the eyesores people build. Also, it would help to preotect the flora and forna. The amount of times I've seen people deforest an area to build an ugly base and then just leave it to decay is shocking.

This gets rid of all the ghastly compost farms, massive wind turbine carbuncles and all the other issues affecting our wonderful islands.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

A limit on foundation area coverage might help a little but the lag I only suffer is from bases with multiple wind turbines and flashing lights. It's rare I use two turbines and normally get away with one for a small farm and lighting. I have gone through five wipes so far (i think) and only have about $170K net worth but find it's more than enough. I may use up $20K in a wipe but build it back up by end of that wipe. Since explosives can not be sold I have not bothered much this wipe but still pushed my net worth up $10K.

Building massive farms just to feed greed hurts other players with lower PC specs myself included. At my age and financial situation, I can not afford the latest and greatest so get by with a AMD FX-8300, 16gb of RAM and a RX580 4GB.

I even tried US Scourge this wipe as I had a good time there a few wipes ago. I couldn't even get past a few areas as my FPS dropped so far. Just to many huge bases covered in flashing lights and turbines galore. I just gave up in the end.

If RUST keeps becoming a bigger resource hog,  I'll be going back to other games I had taken a break from like Elite Dangerous which funny enough I have no issues in running.

• Like 1

I agree, There could be cool things made on the server. But being in the middle of the map with a huge base especially a spot where players are a lot or flying over a lot just makes them lag. There have been users including myself who would crash into a base that's not rendered yet because of how big it is. And I agree, The 300+ Compost farm is uncalled for 100%. I get Death wants to let people build freely but a lot of good dedicated people are leaving because of it and tbh, It's understandable. From what I've heard this isn't the first time something for limits has been made but figured why not try. These are good servers but Rust is already unoptimized, Allowing people to build like that just ruins it. People are tired of losing their helis, Lagging nonstop exc. Limits need to be made otherwise, The servers are just goin to fill with trolls and the good people are going to leave. 

If you (Death) don't wish to put ALL limits I said I get that, But at least foundation limit or Compost limit something to help. Otherwise people will just keep leaving. 

I admit I did the Networth farming thing this wipe just to see how it goes.  I went from $1000 (Starting Networth) to currently ~$155,000 in one wipe.  And all that took was ONE level 5 Pumpjack and THREE Small Oil Refineries.  On top of that I just did my usual roaming, scrapping, and exploring.  And that's after buying a handful of Patrol Helicopter spawns.  If I can do that passively with so little, there is no reason for giant Networth farms.

I also did Composter Scrap farming until I had about ~25K and all Blueprints learned.  That took me about a week or so with 12 Composters.  TWELVE.

And I didn't need to build special buildings to do either.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:09 AM, olycat said:

Maybe have the admins build a player base at the start which everyone uses and ban building everywhere else, these could work to a theme (a monastry, hotel, prison, cruise ship) each wipe. Every player gets allocated a 1x2 room with a little window, a bed and some space for storage, everything else like furnaces, work benches etc are communal. You'd add a little area for heli and car parking.
You might suffer a wee bit of stutter in the commune, but the rest of the map would be free to roam without issue and without some of the eyesores people build. Also, it would help to preotect the flora and forna. The amount of times I've seen people deforest an area to build an ugly base and then just leave it to decay is shocking.

This gets rid of all the ghastly compost farms, massive wind turbine carbuncles and all the other issues affecting our wonderful islands.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA,...

NO.

If I can't build on the server I ain't playing on the server.  Plain and simple.

Composters? You can fit 300 composters in a 3 level 5x5 so... not sure that's something worth focusing on as part of an issue unless you want to bump that number up to 700 or a thousand or something. 300 dancefloors. 300 hobo barrels. 300 ceiling lights. Nightmare fuel. 300 composters? meh.

I always feel bad when I go to place a second quarry and end up having to pipe to narnia because it's the closest/large-enough flat area to fit. This might be mentioned in another thread already, but I'd like to see the survey charge mechanic removed and allow quarries to be placed as freely as pumpjacks. Because nobody is sticking with just a lvl1 quarry, the 'starting resources' determined by survey crater can just be stone and each level can unlock the other ores as normal. My 'compound' footprint would be 1/10 its size rn if this were possible. 

I have wondered if it's possible to scale in-game items the same way as custom map/monument entities (like the pooki prisoner). If you could downscale the no-build footprint of personal quarries and pjs to, say... a 2x3? That'd be glorious. They aren't in vanilla anyway, so I say make em as small as possible.

As far as base size and talking about limitations, I'm kind of indifferent. Sure, I don't live or go anywhere near lag-lane, but it's not like it's difficult to be anywhere else on the map where those massive structures aren't. Sorry it sucks for the mini/scrappy fliers, but... shrug, imo.