Networth Leaderboards

Mayor Oxum

33 minutes ago, Postanou said:

And this mindset is the main problem with networth ^

I would disagree, I think networth is a great feature. I think using it to buy, sell, and teleport is great but why not be able to compete with it too? It's not like we're winning or losing anything and I'd like to see the imaginative stuff people come up with to get networth. Healthy competition breeds innovation and creativity, I don't see that as a problem. 

I'd also like to add that there are leaderboards for just about everything else, headshots, deaths, kills, etc. so why not networth too? Unless you are also in objection to those too for some reason?

Edited by Mayor Oxum

I never said networth was a bad feature. I'm saying the hoarding of networth is the problem.

Winning or losing? Losing. Losing because of the massive farms & factories solely designed to churn out networth that already tank player FPS. You won't see any new imaginative builds, just look around the servers and you will already see the peak creativity players go to just to hoard networth.

Creating a leaderboard for networth will just compound the problem with more large builds.

The purpose of networth, as you pointed out, is to be USED, but mostly it is just hoarded. Great plugin, but it's abused.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Postanou said:

I never said networth was a bad feature. I'm saying the hoarding of networth is the problem.

Winning or losing? Losing. Losing because of the massive farms & factories solely designed to churn out networth that already tank player FPS. You won't see any new imaginative builds, just look around the servers and you will already see the peak creativity players go to just to hoard networth.

Creating a leaderboard for networth will just compound the problem with more large builds.

The purpose of networth, as you pointed out, is to be USED, but mostly it is just hoarded. Great plugin, but it's abused.

Why is the hoarding of networth a problem? Honestly, I think not hoarding is more of a problem. Economically speaking, why buy from other players when you can just use your networth to buy from the shop? Why utilize other player's services when I can use networth to do basically anything and get anywhere at the click of a button. I think if leaderboards were made and players cared about them it would get them to interact more and rely on each other for convenient options that don't reduce their networth (for example, taxi service from outpost back to their base instead of paying to teleport). 

You bring up some fair points regarding FPS but players create massive farms and factories right now to chum out scrap anyway. Half this game is farming, we're just talking about different reasons to do it. Some people go hit up monuments to accrue a bunch of scrap (and/or networth), some people make massive factories and farms to do so instead. And I'm sure there are some other ways I just don't know about but the creativity and innovation is in finding those ways and utilizing them in an efficient way. My problem is that accruing scrap in whatever way we have chosen is fun for a week or so but scrap then becomes useless once you've unlocked all the technology. There's no longevity. 

Hoarding networth and being able to compete with leaderboards would change that. I don't think you would see any larger builds just more long term ones now purposed for networth generation instead of scrap generation. Bottom line though I don't think networth is something that NEEDS to be used and especially if people are hoarding it anyway let people have fun with it. 

• Love 1

• Staff

I agree with Postanou, I've been around long enough to see the many changes to net worth over the years and the effects it's had on the economy. I do like the competitiveness aspect of a leaderboard but as net worth currently is I do not think it fits. I have known players recently make 25+ million in a single wipe with their (as you call it) scrap farms and then never spend 90% of it, then in the new wipe go bigger just to see if they can get more than their last wipe. 

In my opinion if this was to be implemented I would like to see net worth wiped every 1 - 3 months to remove the redundant stock piles. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 7:53 AM, Elixil3 said:

I agree with Postanou, I've been around long enough to see the many changes to net worth over the years and the effects it's had on the economy. I do like the competitiveness aspect of a leaderboard but as net worth currently is I do not think it fits. I have known players recently make 25+ million in a single wipe with their (as you call it) scrap farms and then never spend 90% of it, then in the new wipe go bigger just to see if they can get more than their last wipe. 

In my opinion if this was to be implemented I would like to see net worth wiped every 1 - 3 months to remove the redundant stock piles. 

I agree some changes would have to be made, but I don't think they would be bad changes just a few tweaks to what is already there. I imagine wiping networth every month would be best. Then you could have the leaderboards for the current wipe and a "high-score" leaderboard that would never wipe. Honestly, from what you're saying, it sounds like you know players already compete in this way. It's just by themselves instead of as a community. 

I've gotta ask though, why is having a stockpile of networth seen so negatively. It doesn't hurt anyone or take away from anyone else's gameplay to not spend networth so what does it matter what the number is? 

2 hours ago, Mayor Oxum said:

I've gotta ask though, why is having a stockpile of networth seen so negatively. It doesn't hurt anyone or take away from anyone else's gameplay to not spend networth so what does it matter what the number is? 

Simple. The networth is never put back into the server/community. And it does negatively affect other's gameplay.

Players build massive farms/factories to generate massive amounts of networth and never use it. They just want to collect it, as you are desiring with this thread, for showing off, and to have more than their neighbour. The problem with doing this is you have huge bases, that cause a significant amount of lag annoyance to other players. And a lot of the time, these networth farmers play very little; they only log on once in a while to collect resources, sell to the black market, and to stop being purged. I'm sure you have seen massive buildings & not seen anyone inside for the whole wipe.

Yes, some players spend some networth at the start of the following wipe, but not millions worth. Yes, there are players who use networth as it was originally intended. But I also believe networth ruins the game, as networth farmers rush to the end in the first 2 days, build up their megafactories, and then don't play for the rest of the month. There is little to no player interaction with the community as a whole.

I often wonder why some networth farmers even bother when they hardly play, I can only imagine it is because of some form of FOMO. I wholeheartedly agree with Elixil3 that networth should be wiped on a regular basis.

On 6/24/2023 at 3:38 AM, Postanou said:

Simple. The networth is never put back into the server/community. And it does negatively affect other's gameplay.

Players build massive farms/factories to generate massive amounts of networth and never use it. They just want to collect it, as you are desiring with this thread, for showing off, and to have more than their neighbour. The problem with doing this is you have huge bases, that cause a significant amount of lag annoyance to other players. And a lot of the time, these networth farmers play very little; they only log on once in a while to collect resources, sell to the black market, and to stop being purged. I'm sure you have seen massive buildings & not seen anyone inside for the whole wipe.

Yes, some players spend some networth at the start of the following wipe, but not millions worth. Yes, there are players who use networth as it was originally intended. But I also believe networth ruins the game, as networth farmers rush to the end in the first 2 days, build up their megafactories, and then don't play for the rest of the month. There is little to no player interaction with the community as a whole.

I often wonder why some networth farmers even bother when they hardly play, I can only imagine it is because of some form of FOMO. I wholeheartedly agree with Elixil3 that networth should be wiped on a regular basis.

I think at the very least then we're all in agreement that networth should be wiped regularly 😛 

For hoarding the networth though I didn't think it's that simple. Granted this is my first wipe here but I didn't think there was a set amount of networth in the game we were pulling from. I was under the impression that any time a player wants to sell items to the server, or are out playing the game and earning that way, networth is just infinitely generated without a cap. If there IS a cap then I could see why hoarding might be a problem but otherwise it's impossible to hoard something there is an endless amount of. 

I understand the need for smaller bases but as I said before the megafactories already exist, so making networth leaderboards or not doesn't really matter for that existing problem. The current networth could also be altered slightly to only be given to players for playing instead of for items they can offline farm, I imagine that would help decrease the megafactories while also allowing players to compete over networth.

Edited by Mayor Oxum

• Staff

I think wiping networth would only increase already excessive farms and the rate that these farms are produced especially right after they have wiped.
Networth does get put back into the server and community by some awesome players. Players who host heli parties or brads. Networth goes into revives & signals to make this possible. Inviting other players over with instanced loot plugin creates competition to get enough damage in for loot and also helps to make some friends along the way.
A leaderboard for who has spent the most amount of networth for revives in the daily 24hrs with no reward could be interesting. I might also die a lot.
My view is pretty much from scourge and i get that on survival servers the factory aspect is the main idea. Build a factory with more automation (than scourge) and then party with wolves and bears.

• Like 1