Rust Update | Backpacks, item pouches, better nodes and explosion redux

Death

• Staff

Dead bodies turn into backpacks

In a throwback to Legacy Rust, dead bodies now turn into backpacks after 5 minutes. You loot them just like you would a body, and they despawn when they are empty. Reason being: Ragdolls are expensive to render. The switch to backpacks increases performance and allows for longer despawn times.loot them just like you would a body, and they despawn when they are empty. Reason being: Ragdolls are expensive to render. The switch to backpacks increases performance and allows for longer despawn times.

How much longer? It depends on what items are in the backpack, and how rare they are - the rarer, the longer it sticks around. I’m very happy to report, my test backpack with an AK and some metal armor stuck around for 65 minutes! 

Backpacks with less rare items appear to last for around 25 minutes while a naked with just a rock and torch hangs around for about 10 minutes. This is a huge increase from the several minutes despawn time we’ve been dealing with.

One potential downside of these camouflaged backpacks is they blend in with grassy environments. Thankfully, they do at least displace the grass around them:

252490_20170628220639_1.png?format=750w  252490_20170628220656_1.png?format=750w

?format=1000w

Item pouch

In the same vein as backpacks, when a storage container is destroyed (box, furnace, etc.), objects inside now drop into an ‘item pouch’ as opposed to spewing individual burlap sacks. They are the same model as the small stash, except they sit about twice as high off the ground.

As with backpacks, the goal is increased performance (in this case, by generating only one item instead of many). Also, pouch despawns times appear to be similar to the backpack. 

Edit: Andre has shifted the color of the item pouch so it doesn't look exactly like a small stash. Updated header picture accordingly.

Node changes

Helk has made some huge shifts to how nodes work. They now only give one resource (stone nodes only give stone, sulfur only give sulfur, etc.). Also, finishing bonuses of ~20% have been added, and 2 HQM are rewarded for completing (when using the proper tools).

What about yield? The provide roughly the same amount of single resources as they previously have (the amount of metal ore you got out of a metal node is the same you'll get now). That said, with the finishing bonuses, you'll end up with a bit more in total. Also, the yield of stone nodes has been increased overall to account for not getting the stone in other node types.

Also, temperate biome has more stone nodes, less metal + sulfur nodes. Arid + arctic biomes remain unchanged.

?format=1000w

Dropped item improvements

There have also been a bunch of improvements to individual items which are dropped on the ground. Here’s a rundown:

• Lube removed! Dropped items are less likely to slide all willy nilly
  • They take twice as long to despawn across the board
  • Total despawn time of a dropped item is based on its rarity (the rarer the item, the longer it takes to despawn - see examples below)
  • Dropped items now displace grass, making them easier to find

Explosion redux

Helk has implemented all new explosion effects. These fresh blasts appear bigger, more realistic, and send particles and smoke out in a new, better-looking way. To accompany this new FX, a screen shake effect has been added to the first person view for anyone in the vicinity of detonation.

252490_20170628210550_1.png?format=500w  252490_20170628214006_1.png?format=500w

Grenade improvements

The physics behind grenades has shifted significantly (for the better) this week. Grenades no longer slide all over the place, they only tumble. Along with that, their bounciness has been reduced. All in all, it should be easier to toss grenades where you intend.

Decay changes

There are some minor changes to decay this week. Mainly, deployables only decay when they're outside. This means as long as your deployables have a roof or overhang over them, they will no longer decay. With this, the deployable decay timer no longer resets when someone looks in - the deployable must be repaired with a hammer to reset the decay timer.

Note: This does not impact small stashes, that uses something else for decay.

Other stuff

• Cost of mining quarry is now 5000 wood, 1500 frags, 6 gears, 4 sheet metal
  • Ores have a smash effect when changing stages
  • Can hold down left mouse click to continuously hit with hammer
  • Fixed bow sometimes spamming RPCs to server
  • More progress on foliage assets branch

• Death changed the title to Rust Update | Backpacks, item pouches, better nodes and explosion redux
Just now, Death said:

@Billy Madison I'd kill you regardless of the reason ;)

You're right on that one. I do recall being sniped by a chopper out of pure luck. And I have a pretty dope PvP base design I'll have to whip up in Fortify to show you. And I also want to see the explosion redux. What I'd rather see out of the stuff they implemented is that damn rocket factory they said was complete. Damnit give us it already O.o