RustEZ Survival PvE - Building Limits and Twig Purge

PhantomSquirrel

Been getting some lag lately on the RustEZ Survival PvE server, mainly due to the sheer number of buildings.

I understand that the buildings are currently purged after two weeks of no owner activity. Can I suggest that maybe twig is purged after a week? Or twig decay is enabled? As there's a lot of twig structures/foundations around with no TC etc.

Also, the sheer size of some towers has been causing me a lot of lag when they load in. Maybe a limit on the height a building can be built?

• Like 2

• Staff

@Bones We will never resort to using decay or upkeep. Our servers are designed for players to have fun, not give them chores. Our current system works very well, the lag we're having this month is unusual and an issue with the game itself. We just have to sit back and wait for facepunch to properly optimize their game.

• Like 2

On 26/02/2018 at 2:59 PM, PhantomSquirrel said:

Been getting some lag lately on the RustEZ Survival PvE server, mainly due to the sheer number of buildings.

I understand that the buildings are currently purged after two weeks of no owner activity. Can I suggest that maybe twig is purged after a week? Or twig decay is enabled? As there's a lot of twig structures/foundations around with no TC etc.

Also, the sheer size of some towers has been causing me a lot of lag when they load in. Maybe a limit on the height a building can be built?

if you limit the build height too much, good luck with chopper battles.  

You could reduce the resolution or maybe draw/visible distance if thats an option.

• Like 1

Since map wipes are currently still monthly, maybe dial the Inactive Decay down to 1 week of inactivity?  While I can see how that may be harsh on people who don't have a lot of time to play Rust, I don't really feel like the current 2 week cooldown really does anything to declutter the server.  As I flew around demo'ing my own builds today, I saw a lot of half built twig bases that I'm pretty sure belonged to people that logged on once and played for a couple hours.  If those kinds of things are still present right before wipe, how effective is the Inactive Decay currently?

Then again I don't have access to server side reports for object count and whatnot.  I might just not be seeing to good work that the Inactive Decay is doing.

• Like 3

• Staff

In my honest opinion, I think 2 weeks is perfect. There are other ways to deal with clutter but for starters, we're doing 5k maps this wipe which should add more spread to structures and reduce the number of entities per chunk. If that doesn't work other measures will be considered.

• Like 1

5k maps?  how big was one prewipe?  seemed quite large, maybe not for 100+ people all building multiple houses but def lots of room to maneuver outside of near monuments.  If it is an issue, maybe restricting the number of homes to 4 or 5 would limit how many of the little ones that pop up everywhere that are a single cube with walls that dot everywhere.  I'm quite happy with it the way it is but if others find it an issue, maybe that would help?