Make a lite rule for Garrison-taking

Disaster

Hi there,

I think it would be a good idea to have a light rule (not harsh penalty basically) about soloing garrison. It is not fun when one person takes garrison within 5 minutes of spawning all day-solo. Their response "it's not against the rules". Well maybe we can have a rule about taking garrison solo...like once a day...and after that they have to wait 10 minutes or something. l dunno it's just really UN-fun when somebody puts a base near where garrison spawns then conveniently takes it down within 5 minutes but of course they aren't "camping". If there was a rule or guideline about this then that would make it more fun for newer players. The loot is so good from garrison but if it all goes to one person (who brags in chat about how much they are making everytime) it gets really old. Just my 2 cents on how we can make this event more accessible to more players and MORE FUN!

Other than that I just want to say again how bad-ass this community is and the admins especially are fantastic. Y'all rock

• Like 2

Because you can make a comparison to other events does not mean it's the same thing. Also the rewards from Garrison are better than all the events you mentioned combined. I mentioned it because I think it's an easy adjustment to mention some guidelines for Garrison-taking which would improve the experience for newer players drastically.

Also people who are new to the server but not new to Rust are very familiar with bradley, helis, and rigs. They have no idea what the garrison is and they never will if certain people take it down within 5 minutes of spawning each time.

• Like 4

You're not wrong but neither am I. We had a massive farming issue on pure this month. It takes away from the gaming experience no matter what it is. If brad is always dead, how can a new player experience that part of the game, same for helis, garrisons, rigs. 

I agree with you, but I think it should be across the board to cover all of them. Not just garrisons.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this is a regular occurrence on servers. people have literally built bases at known spawn locations and within seconds of it spawning they are destroyed. When this was happening to Bradley something was said and done to discourage it but the NPC garrison seems open to abuse. I noticed when its the harder lvl4/5 and more expensive to raid they are left sat there until despawn. 

1 hour ago, Jammers said:

this is a regular occurrence on servers. people have literally built bases at known spawn locations and within seconds of it spawning they are destroyed.

This, I can attest to, as I've actually been told by some people about their camping tactics for Garrisons; usually involving several fake bases along garrison spawn areas for easy teleporting. Voice communications are harder to provide, however...

Edited by SKUDRUNNER
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, Jammers said:

this is a regular occurrence on servers. people have literally built bases at known spawn locations and within seconds of it spawning they are destroyed. When this was happening to Bradley something was said and done to discourage it but the NPC garrison seems open to abuse. 

Thank you  - this is really useful feedback for admins. 

We'll step up efforts to enforce the no camping rule and speak to players in-game who hog the garrisons, in the same way we do for other server spawn events (i.e. brad, heli, cargo etc) to make sure they are aware it's not cool to do this in a PvE community.

I will look into this further to see what we can do to make the garrisons event more enjoyable and less campy. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

• Staff

correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not sure i get it... but isn't grubbing (not doing work but taking loot) stealing? i'm just a little confused as to why you'd be encouraging others to break the rules, so i must be missing something.

Learn to grub.  I've not yet attempted the garrison, but when I do, I won't let another player stop me from getting loot.  In fact, I invite anyone to come and grub if I'm doing it solo.  I have 70 rockets ready to go.

Edited by TiffDust
quoted post was missing
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Doing no work and taking the loot IS  stealing and should be reported. Also Garrison is a server event, meaning it is not meant to be solo'd. These events should be shared, so more than one person is very welcome to participate. If other players are preventing you from being able to participate please contact your admin who is able to help resolve this issue.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 11:27 AM, Jammers said:

Fucking Livid. Just been called greedy for doing 1 NPC garrison this wipe by Gratis who's the one who most likely been doing them non stop!! what a piss take!!

That guy is a punk. I watched him kill brad recently. I came back for the next one, had been there maybe 30 seconds, he said "looks like camping" to which I replied "I literally just got here. You took the last one so looks like farming. Which offense is worse?" Don't pay any attention to him.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mummy Pipple said:

Doing no work and taking the loot IS  stealing and should be reported. Also Garrison is a server event, meaning it is not meant to be solo'd. These events should be shared, so more than one person is very welcome to participate. If other players are preventing you from being able to participate please contact your admin who is able to help resolve this issue.

They need to be made a lot harder if not meant to be soloed. The stone one is a joke. Couple ladders, 4 c4, 4 flame rockets and some bullets. Done. Similar for sheet. I've seen maybe 1-2 people do the hq one because the payout isn't worth the materials.

Yes, I absolutely realize how much work these are to setup. I helped set up many a raid base on previous server. Just saying they may not be meant to be soloed but when they are that easy, very few are going to want to share.

I personally don't mind sharing. I came across a stone one 2 days ago, some new guys woefully unprepared were trying for it. Talked with em for a sec, showed em my method (which Cartmon showed me) and did all the work, let them keep it all. I'm all for more people knowing the content. 

• Like 3

• Staff

would it be too hard for the server to say 'playername has destroyed garrison' when the TC is emptied by that person? or 'playername has damaged garrison x times'  (damage being walls destroyed as to not spam chat for every rocket/c4 or as a percentage such as combatlog for brad/heli) might that help fight the toxicity? possibly nerfing the payout of the non hqm ones might help balance it out.

1 hour ago, TiffDust said:

would it be too hard for the server to say 'playername has destroyed garrison' when the TC is emptied by that person? or 'playername has damaged garrison x times'  (damage being walls destroyed as to not spam chat for every rocket/c4 or as a percentage such as combatlog for brad/heli) might that help fight the toxicity? possibly nerfing the payout of the non hqm ones might help balance it out.

When the tc is destroyed it already sends out a server message. "The garrison was destroyed" or something along those lines. Having the name of the player is sort of irrelevant, as my experiences over the last few wipes tells it's always the same handful of players anyways. Nerfing the payout for lower tiers really does seem like the most reasonable/easiest fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Digging this up again. I don't know why... Doesn't seem to be getting any attention. To address the garrison issue on EU Scourge (and probably AU and US as well). I'm aware that no one is breaking any rules by farming the garrisons or zerging them within 30 seconds of being up. Which compels me to do the same so I can get a chance at them. But is there any chance that some actual rules can be laid out for those. So many a day, people (to include teams) can't take 2 in a row, etc? It's getting really old this month with one of the massive teams (which is another issue).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Staff

On AU this wipe (and last), it is stone that is done over and over by the same small number of people. Our lovely admin did appeal with a reminder to be considerate that there's only so many events in a day and X number of players on  (so you can't gripe it's not you and you should be mindful of others.)

On 4/12/2021 at 10:24 AM, rubiks-q-bert said:

Digging this up again. I don't know why... Doesn't seem to be getting any attention. To address the garrison issue on EU Scourge (and probably AU and US as well). I'm aware that no one is breaking any rules by farming the garrisons or zerging them within 30 seconds of being up. Which compels me to do the same so I can get a chance at them. But is there any chance that some actual rules can be laid out for those. So many a day, people (to include teams) can't take 2 in a row, etc? It's getting really old this month with one of the massive teams (which is another issue).

19 minutes ago, TiffDust said:

On AU this wipe (and last), it is stone that is done over and over by the same small number of people. Our lovely admin did appeal with a reminder to be considerate that there's only so many events in a day and X number of players on  (so you can't gripe it's not you and you should be mindful of others.)

I think you're entirely missing the point he was trying to make. He's saying it's the same people taking them all the time and a daily limit should be imposed on anyone that wants to do them. For the exact reason that only a certain number exist (approx. 24) per day. He's not griping that he can't do enough of them, he's suggesting a global cap on all players. If you had read through this thread at all you would know, that this is an on going topic for months now. Its cool that the AU admins are keeping people in check, but clearely it's still an issue in other servers.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TiffDust said:

Not entirely sure what you're saying actually.

• Like 1