Community Poll - Enabling Upkeep for Pure

Death

Making Pure more Pure  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the upkeep system enabled?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Staff

The inception of no decay on our Pure server came about long before the new upkeep system, when players had to open a door on their base every 24 hours to prevent the base from decaying.

With the new upkeep system and the ability to stash resources in your cupboard to prevent decay, I feel it's time we reconsider this "perk" being removed in favor of a more vanilla experience.

This change would work to naturally keep the base size more moderate without imposing any hard restrictions on doing so. That's the best approach in my opinion. But that's mine, and I'd like to know yours!

If you vote on the poll and have a minute or two to explain why it would be greatly appreciated ❤️

• Like 3
  • Love 6

• Staff

YES 1000.25%

-in concert with the purge, upkeep would allow the bases with open tc's to decay even if a stray player looked/authed.

-Upkeep would foster efficient farms and reduce multi building compound sizes that can at times be a hindrance on others performance

-Randomly placed foundations will naturally decay allowing for unused "planned builds" to open back up for other players much more quickly

-along with the previous point, random garages to "claim" modular vehicles will also suffer the same fate and return those modular frames to players in search of them if they're left alone after wipe day. 

-Upkeep enabled should also help maintain players further into wipe at a minimum checking in to maintain their build, and hopefully interact/play for a bit

-upkeep enabled will provide a use for hoarded resources beyond bases full of hundreds of large boxes. 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

I believe that enabling a “low decay” would be beneficial. And any building not on TC should decay. This would encourage people to farm for upkeep, and also reduce the lag on the massive twig structures. 

Also consider enabling full decay on twig structures also. 

Edited by WooKiE_MaN
  • Like 3

As much as I think it would cut down on sizable builds, which is a huge gain. I personally love the no upkeep just because of the grace it allows casual players. And for the monthly regulars who love doing boundlessly creative builds, that could potentially hinder them when doing multiple structures or builds I'm thinking specifically of the build contests for holiday events. Just my two sense. :) 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I believe this is a much needed addition to the pure servers, might help downscale some of the larger bases and prevent people from logging in for 1 minute just to keep their base active without any intention to continue playing the wipe. Which makes the inactivity timer pretty much invalid in what it was designed for.

Hopefully this is something that gets implemented, glad it is at least being considered 🙂

Edited by Brad
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Not on Pure.

Pure is a server for more laid-back gameplay, and less active members of the community. Reactivating decay won't solve any issues; we already have a purge system that removes inactive players and their bases.

Large farm bases are more of a problem for Survival and Scourge servers, where players build monstrosities just to generate networth.

I just don't see the point of decay on Pure.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Postanou said:

Not on Pure.

Pure is a server for more laid-back gameplay, and less active members of the community. Reactivating decay won't solve any issues; we already have a purge system that removes inactive players and their bases.

Large farm bases are more of a problem for Survival and Scourge servers, where players build monstrosities just to generate networth.

The concept of Pure is to be a vanilla PvE with a few adaptions to counter PvP mechanics. Rust has greatly evolved since then, and I think it's time we do the same. The server has suffered quite a significant dip in player base, and the numbers dwindle only a week after the wipe.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, Postanou said:

Not on Pure.

It doesn't get bad until the last 2 weeks of wipe when all the regulars have farmed massive amounts of scrap that these mega structures just lay waste and become slowly not even used as much. Plus the in flux of new player joining and adding bases be it properly maintained or with out a TC just adds tons of lag to areas with larger structures which I know for a fact 90% of them are TC less and you have players build blocking areas limiting even more land to build on.

I feel the doing it is good and should be, however as long as Pumpjacks are instanced, there are many on the map to use, plus ones you can buy, it is RUSTEZ. The mats are endless in this way which means building mega structures is still ok and will be easy to maintain. One person can horde thousands of mats with no help using this method. You could turn it up x2 decay and it would not matter either. If RUST has changed and the server must to, then make it harder to get rich quickly. Turning in cloth every hour is overpowered for Scrap. Makes it for no economy either in this way. More needs to be changed here then just the decay.

• Like 1

I don't think its gonna change the way people play. I would consider this a  tedious part of Rust and will likely just be annoyed with the upkeep part, especially with mats capping at 1k in your stack unless you buy by drone. If I found it too annoying it would likely just cause me to quit sooner in the wipe.  As it is now, there aren't many people in the last two weeks of wipe. I don't think adding an annoying upkeep requirement is gonna make someone stay longer if that's the goal.  Gaming is supposed to be fun,, not a burden. I like the no decay, its not vanilla but neither is not having horses spawn in the wild, capping cars spawning and being able to buy items from the RustEz store.  Are those things going to change to be more Vanilla too?  I vote leave no decay. But that's just my opinion.  

Update: I really though my base was average. I have 24 large planters, 1 large furnace, 1 refinery, I parking area, 1 sleeping are, 1 community area for brad players, a landing pad and runway. All 1 story. So with the update to get rid of decay, it would cost me 47k stone per day. That's a lot of friggen stone. So my playing time will be feeding a TC instead of killing Brad and Karen and doing monument puzzles. Not sure players voting for decay are aware of how much it's gonna require to upkeep.

upkeep.png

Edited by KR6SSY
Added thoughts regarding the changing to be more vanilla goal
  • Like 7

• Staff
2 hours ago, Deathmated said:

I feel the doing it is good and should be, however as long as Pumpjacks are instanced, there are many on the map to use, plus ones you can buy, it is RUSTEZ. The mats are endless in this way which means building mega structures is still ok and will be easy to maintain. One person can horde thousands of mats with no help using this method. You could turn it up x2 decay and it would not matter either. If RUST has changed and the server must to, then make it harder to get rich quickly. Turning in cloth every hour is overpowered for Scrap. Makes it for no economy either in this way. More needs to be changed here then just the decay.

Absolutely. This change is not a fix-all, rather a step in the right direction. Balancing requires time and isn't something we like to do all at once as it can be a bit overwhelming to players.

• Like 4

I feel the change to implement upkeep is a dangerous change to make. 😭

So lets say i am away for a week - My base is gone. Let's say I have a busy few days at work - My base will start despawning. It is all good for the people that may not work but I feel that adding upkeep just adds another layer of things to remember about. Just build a base for 2 or 3 players. You require a moderately sized base which the stack size of 1k does not allow you to keep a large amount in.

Solutions? - Limit the amount of tc's users can place - Reduce the removal timer to 5 days - Certain enforced limits for only twig bases.

I see Pure PVE as a way to relax and get away from work - Adding such a requirement would be the opposite and I could not see myself actively playing nearly as much.

• Like 4

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Annoyed Grunt said:

I feel the change to implement upkeep is a dangerous change to make. 😭

So lets say i am away for a week - My base is gone. Let's say I have a busy few days at work - My base will start despawning. It is all good for the people that may not work but I feel that adding upkeep just adds another layer of things to remember about. Just build a base for 2 or 3 players. You require a moderately sized base which the stack size of 1k does not allow you to keep a large amount in.

Solutions? - Limit the amount of tc's users can place - Reduce the removal timer to 5 days - Certain enforced limits for only twig bases.

I see Pure PVE as a way to relax and get away from work - Adding such a requirement would be the opposite and I could not see myself actively playing nearly as much.

You can add enough resources to your cupboard to offset decay for the entire wipe, assuming your base isn't massive. Even then, you can use pipes to pipe in additional storage. The underlying argument is a bit invalid since we already have the 1 week inactive purge, so that would get you long before vanilla upkeep would. 😛

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Death said:

You can add enough resources to your cupboard to offset decay for the entire wipe, assuming your base isn't massive. Even then, you can use pipes to pipe in additional storage. The underlying argument is a bit invalid since we already have the 1 week inactive purge, so that would get you long before vanilla upkeep would. 😛

I will be honest here. I kinda did forgot abouts pipes -

There are 2 Tags that brought me to the server, PVE and No Decay.
To me, UpKeep/Decay is a chore, and one that doesn't add any real gameplay value.

I understand this is intended to reduce the amount of large structures and abandoned property but it feels like it writes off players that are not able to commit the increased time. If I only have a few hours to play in a week, Id rather be doing the activities I want in game.

If I'm stressed about making sure my TC has supply or spend all my time doing upkeep runs, motivation to play will drop quickly.
Pipes can address the limited storage of a TC but the player will still have to spend the time to get the resources.

I know I cant commit my time consistently for a full wipe, and if my base decayed for whatever reason, that'd be where my wipe ends.

Edited by Ghoul
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

• Staff

well. from my perspective as a staff member on pure i would love to see lage twig structures go faster. but from a player perspective i have to join ghouls statement above.

isnt it possible you add  like (double?)decay on twig and un-tc-ed structures, but as soon i upgrade to stones reduce the upkeep so you dont have to farm upkeep as a chore?

• Like 7
  • Love 4

Personally I like the idea of upkeep as pure is about keeping it as close to pvp as possible and it would hopefully provide more of a motivation for people which you lose if you get to end game quite early when it becomes too easy especially as wipes are monthly.

Saying that though, like others have said, it may not be ideal for players who maybe don’t want to grind for mats if they are not regularly online especially with 1K max stack and/or for the players who will build community builds. On EU pure for example we do have quite a few of them depending who’s on each wipe like towns or racing tracks etc which may demotivate people to get mats and build for the community 

Could there not be something in place if even possible where instead of just putting one of each mat in, there needs to either be the equivalent of the base of how many things are placed or a set amount like 6k of the mats that stack to 1K and 600 hqm if someone had all four of that in their base for e.g. So there’s a slight grind but when you get to that limit then there’s no decay after a certain limit 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Sincerely I prefer to keep up the nondecay because for me RustEz is a chill experience and I don't like to think everyday if my tc has the mats inside.

If this is only to avoid megaconstructions, maybe put decay only on the megaconstructions (I don't know if it's possible to determine the diference between a big house and a small/medium base.)

It's true that on the 3rd and 4th week of wipe the server's population is very low, and for me the option is to do a three weeks wipe and non four. In my opinion the building's decay probably acelerates a big decrease of server's player. On the other hand I understand that this feature will do for having a most active players.

My doubt is if I buy a Pumpjack on the RustEz store it will have decay or not (I assume not).

• Love 1

100% for this and have been openly saying so for a while. the size of some of these bases is just out of hand. it's wild, i'm forced to live as far from population centers as possible to keep my frames above 60, on officials i can keep a locked 165 most times. the server is fine, it's just the inflated entity count from people not having to think of how efficient their build is, of if they really *need* 128 furnaces.
but hey, i'm someone who tries to keep my setup as compact as possible so i may be biased.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I've thought decay should be a thing for years. A higher decay rate for twig builds to encourage upgrading to help lessen the atrociously big builds. As well as to step away from the lag twig creates (I presume it still does disregard if that changed).

It is so easy to farm enough for upkeep.

• Like 2
  • Love 1