Quarry Rework 2.0

Death

• Staff

We've released another wave of QoL updates for quarries and pumpjacks focused around performance and reducing clutter. These changes effect our Survival and Scourge servers.

Key Changes

• Pumpjacks can now be upgraded.
  • You can now upgrade through the fuel storage.
  • Quarry output has been restored to default rates.
  • Player mining level output modifier has been removed.
  • Quarry placement restrictions have been removed. We encourage players to use the new level system.
  • Authorized players can now access the upgrade interface to quarries and pumpjacks.
  • Cost to upgrade is now another quarry or pumpjack instead of resources and components.
  • Quarries take damage when it consumes fuel
  • Quarries can now be repaired (cost: wood, fragments, gears, sheet metal)

Short Summary
Quarries and pumpjacks can now be stacked via the upgrade button located while accessing either the fuel or output container. Each level doubles both the production(amount produced) and fuel consumption(amount of fuel burned per cycle.) The time of a cycle can be determined by Process Rate, which is in seconds.

Quarry => Pumpjack
In this overview, you'll only see references to quarries. The same applies to pumpjacks so when you see quarry, the same applies to pumpjacks.

Old level migration
All previously upgraded quarries have automatically been converted to the new system. You'll have to upgrade them from level 3 to apply the new modifiers. If there are any issues pick the quarry up and place it down again.

No more max for quarries
We've removed the cap for quarries to give back players their freedom. With that being said, we encourage players to use the level system to reduce clutter and improve overall client performance for yourself and others.

How levels work now
Instead of slightly buffing output, each level represents the output of another quarry. A level 2 quarry would produce the output of 2 quarries, taking deposit richness into account. In addition to the doubled output per level, the fuel consumption also increases by 1 per level. The same as running an additional quarry.

Process Rate
As of right now, the process rate, or, the time it takes to complete 1 cycle, does not change. It's there for informational purposes but will eventually be implemented in at a later time.

Level Perks
In addition to doubled production, every level unlocks a new resource yield type. If your quarry already yields this resource type it will not be changed. This does not apply to pumpjacks as it only has 1 yield type.

• Level 3: Metal Ore
  • Level 4: Sulfur
  • Level 5: High quality metal

Surveying is still important
Even though you can upgrade any quarry to produce all 4 resource types, surveying is still important as your output is buffed by your base production. Base production is determined by the area's richness while surveying.

Ore Production and Output
As of 3/29, ore PM (production per minute) now displays on the upgrade interface under the corresponding ore type. This is the same value printed when surveying and should be the exact production of per minute. If not please send us a bug report so we can address this.

A quarry produces resources every cycle which can be determined by Process Rate, in seconds, on the upgrade interface. To calculate fuel consumption per minute divide 60 by the Production value times quarry level.

For those wanting to fact check production, place the exact amount of fuel needed for 1 minute of run time and compare the output to what it displays on the upgrade interface.

60 / production = x * level = fuel needed for 1 minute

Damage on production
As of 4/11, quarries no longer decay while in operation. Going forward, quarry output will be decreased by default but can be "boosted" to output more in exchange for required maintenance, as it was previously.

In the meantime I will start laying out plans and finding a meaningful means of implementation.

as of 4/10, quarries now take 0.5 damage every time it consumes fuel, which is every 10 seconds or based on the Process Rate value, in seconds, in the upgrade menu.

The amount of damage a quarry takes does not change based on level. A level 5 quarry will require the same maintenance as a level 1 to encourage stacking. You can repair a quarry with a build hammer, wood, metal fragments, gears and sheet metal. Cost to repair depends on damage.

Once a quarry's health falls below 20%, it'll automatically turn off and require repair before it can be re-toggled. A quarries base health is 2500 and during normal operation takes 2.4 damage per minute (or 144 damage per hour.) A quarry can run 14 hours before requiring maintenance.

Repairing a quarry
Repairing a quarry requires a building hammer and the following resources: wood, metal frags, gears and sheet metal. The cost to repair is based on the health fraction of the quarry. The more damaged, the more resources it takes.

Doing regular maintenance on quarries before it reaches inoperable health will reduce or eliminate the need for components.

Levels persist when picked up
When you pick up a quarry, the level persists and the icon changes based on its level. The level is visible in the icon of the item at the base of the quarry as shown in the picture below.

ScreenShot_20200327021949.png

You can only use non leveled quarries
When upgrading a quarry, it will not accept other quarries that have already been leveled to avoid any accidents. There is currently no way of resetting the level of any previously leveled quarry.

Preview

Incase you missed it

• Like 3
  • Love 4

• Death pinned this topic

great idea for the quarrys as normaly get some spare from air drops, but as production is increased surely the quarry container holding the stone etc will fill up with more stone than say sulpur,on a 24 hour run i can get 24 slots of stone and 12 slots of sulpur, at level 3, but surely now there is going to be more stone and also metal and hq taking up spaces, also at max level 10 it says my quarry has a capacity of 60 instead of 36, im guessing thats not right as there is only 36 slots, well iv maxed one of my sulpur quarrys to 10 so will find out tomorrow, great work and i hope this fixes the issues with the quarrys resetting there levels and having to upgrade them again. cheers :)

• Staff

@CornishMike The max is 36 and that's likely a miscalculation in the GUI. If needed, I will increase the stack size of resources in the drum to offset the increased output. The stack changes would re-adjust as the resources are taken out.

I'm going to hold off on that until I gauge whether or not it's needed.

• Like 1

Hey Death. For the levels that unlock the other ore types, do you mean the unlocks are at Levels 4, 7, and 10? Cause at Level 3/10 my HQM/Stone quarry doesn't get Metal Ore.

Also, you mention the quarry pulls based on the area's richness. What is the richness based on for HQM/Stone? Would a L10 Quarry pull more HQM from a vein with a decent HQM or one that pulls a very high amount of only stone?

Nice job!

That values for level 10 are the right ones? (97.5 of Production and 10 Fuel)

If my calculations are right, we have 23.4k of Fuel by each 24 hours, or, 975 Fuel by each hour.

That production value, is equal for stone, sulfur and other stuff?

Right now, we have like 100PM of stone and like 19.1PM other stuff, is like that or it's going to be a standard value for all?

I did some testing and I am curious to confirm the base rate for each of the ores of the quarries. It seems that it might be better to only have high yield HQM Quarries fully upgraded.

For example, a Quarry over a Metal Ore Site (14.3/min) will always give that yield, multiplied by the level, when upgrade to Level 4 (which would otherwise unlock Metal Ore).

However, my HQM Quarry when upgrade to 4 unlocks Metal Ore at a base rate of 22.5/min which seems really good.

Was this intentional then? I haven't been able to test what the base rate of HQM is for a Quarry site not over HQM but if that is high maybe it is better to just find a Quarry site that only yields stone and max it out.

I don't see who was complaining about the quarries the way they were. The only thing that I remember ever seeing was issues with the output. Why would a change like this be put into play without a poll being taken? Why even reduce the maximum to 5? All that does is increase the amount of pumpjacks/quarries placed. Which was part of the reason why you introduced the quarry buff in the first place. This latest change feels rushed and out of place. If you want to nerf quarries because "the lore" doesn't fit scourge, fine. Quarries should be left alone on servers that didn't have anyone complaining about them. 

• Like 1

• Staff

@Jelly Belly My initial reasoning for level 10 quarries was to give the very few players who used that many quarries a way to consolidate. After doing so, the amount of players upgrading to level 10 was unexpected and created a huge snowball effect to player economy.

Without the option, not many people are willing to upkeep that many quarries which is why the cap has been pushed down to 5. I understand this may motivate some to place more, but that margin is very small.

The "decay" during run time is there to help reduce the gains from afk farming and discourages players from spamming quarries instead of upgrading. The damage a quarry takes is the same regardless of the level so running 2 quarries vs 1 level 2 would double the upkeep cost.

I know you may feel these changes are out of place on Survival, but it's all the same. The numbers mid wipe are not good for Survival and that's attributed to the fact that players reach end game within week one.

TL;DR
Changes are to reduce impact on player economy, add value to components, discourage quarry spamming and prevent afk farming.

@Death If a player has the necessary funds to create a level 10 pumpjack, who cares? That's called capitalism. Not everyone will be buying 10. That's what will happen when you give people the opportunity to purchase an item that generates resources...

I think you underestimate the amount of people that will be placing more quarries/pumpjacks due to this decrease in maximum level. 

if people have the resources to constantly feed their quarries, why does it matter if they are AFK or not? People are practically encouraged to AFK with the 100 caps per hour that people gain from just being online. 

Every server has a decrease in numbers towards the middle of wipe. If 1 server decreases a week before the other, so what? It wipes once a month. 

Unfortunately you'll find this change will prevent people from using quarries altogether/potentially finding what they need on another server. I'll be finding something else to do in the meantime. 

Goodluck.

• Like 1

I cannot say that I am too happy about either of the changes made. I thought the quarries were fine to begin with before they got stacked. Since the stacking I keep coming up to an invisible wall anytime I get anywhere near pumpjacks or quarries. Sometimes it happens at random. I know for a fact it isnt my computer because Phat built it. I got so agitated last night with it that I started to write the times, the location, what I was doing and what I was near (pumpjacks, trees, house, etc). At one point I just logged off. I spend a good chunk of cash every wipe and I understand there absolutely will be lag due to the mods as well as the surge of people on the net with this pandemic, however, it shouldnt be this bad. I know the quarry rework was supposed to help. You cannot please everyone. I just think we need to take a step back and rethink it again. I appreciate all of the hard work you put into this server @Death. It is a wonderful community. Next time, I think more input from the community is warranted. We are only one week into wipe and people are already built way up and it feels like we should be on week 2.5-ish and not only 7 days in. Thanks again for your hard work.

The use of components for repair (Gears - Cost 125 scrap, Sheet Metal - Cost 30 scrap) pretty much nullifies much of the gain you get from a L10 Quarry, accounting for the fact that you need a multi-level Pumpjack to sustain the Quarries (or someone else's pumpjack by buying their LGF). Each repair only does about 30 pts (out of 2500 full health) and I also found that my quarry kept running long after it filled further damaging it. The LGF cost is a major cost factor as it is. If you want to balance out the materials coming out of those L10 Quarries they shouldn't require components such as Gears or Sheet Metal but the things they are outputting (after refinement). Some of us purchased Pumpjacks to sustain said Quarries.

Either way the economy this wipe is already borked. I'm sitting on about 130k HQM already which is 260k Scrap. In the end it's just points to buy Helis and whatever else gets added to the point system. Changing it this way now seems silly.

Edited by SOLIDUS
  • Like 3

My honest opnion would be to go back to the old system, it was far better to upgrade with sheet metal as it was much harder to get it and you had to grind for the scrap to buy it, i had a level 10 quarry within a few mins of wipe. Also if i wanted hq, sul or mf i would place a quarry in those areas. im now getting boxes upon boxes of stone and metal that i cant give away and can only sell in the shop for even more credit to buy more quarrys, but now there is fast decay on quarrys i doubt i will be using any so wont need to buy pumpjacks from your store. ( might even have to find another server) There were alot fewer quarrys on the map with the old system as it was alot harder to upgrade them and the max at having three was spot on, also the ratio of product to stone was much better as the new system just produces stone so fast it fills up the slots before you can get any product. PLEASE JUST GO BACK TO THE OLD SYSTEM :)

• Like 3