Quarry Rework 2.0

Death

Hello!

@Death

I think this update to quarrys was somewhat exaggerated in general ... I agree with the reduction in production, cut from level 10 to level 5 and I think that it should be transversal for everyone, whether they already have quarrys at 10 or not, they should all be limited to level 5, shop money is easy to earn, so a cut down in the quarrys is no problem for anyone. When it comes to damages, I think they are exaggerated ... Why? According to the calculations I made, the quarry takes 1 damage every 10 seconds. That is, having a 2500 HP quarry, we can leave the quarry running approximately 7 hours straight. Most players leave quarrys to run at night, mostly, this will cause many of them to disappear or leave ... You should partly reduce the damage, so that it can last for example 10 to 12 hours. Or, we go back to the old and old model, a quarry for each resource, farming slow but always right. The idea of damage is not bad, it is possible to rebalance the economy as you said, but it is too much damage that they take in the long run ...

Edited by SW4MP

The purpose of quarries was to provide an alternative means to farming.  If someone doesn't like to run around the map and swing a pick to get their materials they have an option to let the game do that for them.  The problem with quarries is that they not only provide an alternative to hitting nodes but they also provide players with lucrative amounts of materials.  The attempt here is to still have some kind of grind to run them.  I think everyone knows my stance on quarries but let's try to take a non-biased look at the impacts of quarries.

Pros - 

Alternative way to farm materials.

Added need for LGF

Adds something unique as quarries are not in the vanilla game as a player item.

Reduces issues around people using public quarries.

A way to farm caps.

Cons - 

Provides lucrative amounts of materials.

Players achieve end game faster.

Increases the build size and build volume contributing to lag.

Obtaining upkeep with no effort to sustain massive builds.

New players don't have a need to farm as stone is freely given away, ruins new player retention.

Late wipe only entails players logging into turn it over to keep it running.

Caps are easily obtained which brings in more personal heli's and increasing end game loot.

If I missed anything on either side please let me know and I will add it.

Personally for me the cons ruin it too much for me.  It is Rust, it is a survival game, there is going to be some degree of grind.  Change is hard sometimes.

Edited by Dicko A La Mode
  • Like 2

I only bought 2  Pump Jacks this wipe to use in conjunction with the old Quarry system. Not to pleased with the changed mid wipe. I read above and in game personally wont be using quarry's anymore, All I know is 1 Quarry 1 Pump Per Person seems to be a good Limit and idea. but as Dicko mentioned and I agree I'm not farming Sheet Metal it's a pain in the ass to get as is at times. I don't get on Rustez to Farm I get on to Build with my Wife and RP some. 

Thank you to everyone working on this and putting input in. Last wipe, before quarries were changed, I had to stay on grinding away to keep my rental units and my house tc stocked and to keep lgf in the machines for people. This wipe, with the amount of stone coming out, my houses are pretty much good for the next 25 days. And we are only one week in. I do think the quarries needed rework. I was concerned due to the amount of supplies it cost so I am appreciative of the millionth rework poor Death had to do. I will run them now and see how it goes. Dicko is right about there needing to be some need to do more than sit in our houses and fish while our mega quarries produce tons of sellable product. I don't mind running the map. I get to see new builds.I don't take heli's or brad's or anything like that so the quarries putting out some extra that I can turn in for credits is a personal preference, not needed. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the rework and the continual upkeep on the server. 

• Like 1

Michael Maos had an awesome idea. Could you limit the amount of fuel placed into the quarry...say like 5k or 10k so people would be forced to come back, empty the contents, refuel, and repair it? This would cut down on the mats needed to repair so the community would stop screaming about it LOL. Plus, it gets players on the game more often to check their stuff. @Death

I partially agree with @CornishMike. I don't really care if we go back to the original method of upgrading or not. Either using Quarries to upgrade your placed quarry, or using components. Both components and extra quarries are not easy to obtain. Using the quarries to upgrade current placed ones had me purchasing airdrops and/or spending caps. Both are costly methods to the player(as it should be).

I do agree that we should toss this upkeep nonsense, even if it means going back to the quarries only producing 1 resource along with stone. You shouldn't have to worry about upkeep AND worry about obtaining the fuel to feed the quarry.

I know I won't be bothering with further store purchases and/or potentially finding elsewhere to play. There's plenty of other servers that offer a very similar experience to what we had previously. I'm also aware that I am not the only one that feels this way.

I've been a proud and willing supporter of this server, bringing friends to the server, being active whenever possible, and spending hundreds each month without hesitation. I don't appreciate the way this change came about and hope this gets resolved correctly. @Death

• Like 1

Honestly I think that the upkeep system isn't going to do much. All this really does is make people have to farm for the mats to repair the quarry or use the resources you get from the quarry to put the mats. Personally I think you should keep the quarry upgrade system the way it is but nerf the output and remove the upkeep system. That's probably the best way to fix the problem and make the least amount of people angry. I agree that they cant stay the way they are because honestly you just get WAAYYY too much resources from it. Its honestly insane but having the upkeep system just kinda feels like a chore and I don't think does much to fix the problem of having too much stuff. With a Level 10 pumpjack and quarry I just have too much stuff. I could just turn off my quarry and pump for the rest of the wipe and I still wont have to farm. Just my 2 cents

• Staff

@Lolroy Nerfing output would encourage players to place more quarries. That's the main purpose of having levels and the only reason we implemented the run time decay system.

@Jelly Belly I have fought for quarries for a very long time, even when they were introduced to survival. They were removed from vanilla gameplay for good reason. They're awful on client performance and removes the fundamentals of farming.

The reason I'm for quarries is to give casual players a fighting chance at maintaining a somewhat decent base. But as quarries stand on their own, they do more than that. They give players the ability to produce and abundance of resources to flood the market and completely sink prices to the point where it's no longer worth trading or selling.

I will constantly be reevaluating my changes looking for improvements and alternatives but as it stands now, I feel decay is going in the right direction. I fail to see how this decay in any way hinders your ability to farm. You can find the numbers below.

14 hours of run time from 2500 hp to 500 (until it auto shut off)

* Stone output is based on the lowest output possible as the node was manually spawned. If you surveyed you'd get double that.

Cost:
1,857 wood
563 metal
13 gears
13 sheet metal
25,200 lowgrade

Produces:
189,000 stone
47,292 metal
47,292 sulfur
3,780 high quality

awful awful idea , 50gears and 50sheets for like 8 hours of running time …  at 100scrap a gear and 30scrap sheet .You work your quarry to buy stuff to fix it ?  i pay $$ for pumpjacks to Run a quarry  , not to have a dead quarry , i have 5 pumps to run one lvl 10 quarry for 24h but now only runs 7-8 hours so i you made us buy  more pumps then we needed to run the new system and changed it after … ? and auto starter on pipes is decayed my quarry to 0hp and broke it so  we can lose our  quarry with this b.s ...

• Love 1

• Staff

@ZappeR I encourage you to read the overview, or at least the last few replies, before making assumptions. Nothing in your response holds true other than the fact you now have to work to maintain a quarry.

50 gears and sheet metal would allow you 56 hours of run time. A quarry can run 14 hours before becoming inoperable. If you repair the quarry before it reaches half health, or every 7 hours, you'll never need to use components to repair.

If auto start on pipes is causing quarries to be destroyed I will fix this.

• Confused 1

well i fixed my quarry yesterday before i logged and i had  28 gears and 28sheets on me , and  it was half  full  so i assumed it was double to fill it to 100% so about 50 each so im not making assumption cause i put in a ???????? as a question and  after i posted this as questions… i saw the changes  made  Today but yesterday it was before you changed it so everything i said in my post is true but as been changed

thx i use the loop system with autostart using the pipe to restart my pumps and quarry alone if they ever stop for no reason ...the pipe starts bach the quary/pump/furnace so everything always runs but when it goes to 20% and wants to stop… my pipes force it back up and runs till death . And  know you must be … with all this so no apologies needed and thank you for you work ,have a better day 

I was never a fan of the auto-start feature on the Jpipes, I found out they were leaking material. Maybe this has been fixed, but we have proven by multiple tests that you don't get the same ammount of output with a pumpjack that was piped to a refinery with autostart on. 

Also some players talk here like they have never hit a barrel in their life, the gears are quite common when you go on the ring road. I know the sheet metal is less common, but it's 30 scrap a piece at outpost.

• Love 1

• Staff

@RedSkelton Your pumpjacks are not affected by these changes. As long as you login every 14 hours to repair this doesn't effect your quarries either.

We do not typically make major changes mid wipe since we have a monthly forced wipe to reset any imbalances that occurred in the previous one. However, since credits do not wipe this was an issue best resolved immediately.

You may not see an issue with the old system because you aren't looking for any. As it stands, the economy has inflated over 300% with players peaking the leaderboard with over 2 million credits.

@Death it effects the expectation i had when the Pump jack was purchased and my reasoning for even purchasing them changes my game play now I have requirement to login, every 14 hours to repair it, ok but I also have to take time to farm the materials to repair it now. Extra step wasn't expecting when I spent my money. Your server your rules but that's my last purchase I'm not a consumer that likes ordering a PS4 and getting a Xbox so to say. 

TLDR Version : When People are spending money with an expectation for the wipe, you shouldn't make major changes like this during a wipe.

• Staff

Quarries are not apart of the game anymore. They're not a privilege, they're a feature. Like all features, we're always working on improving them, even if that means going backwards to ensure balance.

If you do not want to farm components to maintain a quarry then you can login every 7 hours and repair it for just wood and frags. You only need components when it falls under 1250 health. If you cannot do so then you cannot afford to operate a quarry.

I understand your frustration but there are more uses for pumpjacks other than creating an infinite amount of lowgrade for your quarries. Sell the lowgrade for credits, exchange at outpost or sell and trade amongst other players.

If these changes takes away your motivation to support our servers I do apologize. We're not a for profit server. If you would like a refund on your pumpjacks feel free to create a ticket at https://rustez.com/help

• Like 2

@DeathYeah thats true. its for sure a big issue right now. I would say that if you limited the output of the quarries and maybe put a cap on how many each play could have maybe that would do it? I feel like no mater what happens if it isnt highly limited in one way or another these loot goblins are gonna find out some way to get a shit ton of mats. I wouldent be surprised if it came to you having to take them out of the game again honestly. Obviously the output now is wayyy too much and people are complaining and if you lower it and put a cap on how many people can have people are gonna complain and if you remove them they're gonna complain. Seems like theres no winning. Im sure you will be able to do something. This much thinking is making my brain hurt