Purifying Pure

Death

• Staff
2 hours ago, Legitamas said:

I am fearful that the already dwindling population is going to grow even smaller. The general consensus seems to be leaning towards leaving the server all together in light of these upcoming changes. I hope that this works in favor of the population and not against it. Very interested to see how the next wipe plays out.

the problem is, people browsing the modded tab are looking for a modded server, not a vanilla experience forced into the "modded" tab.  under the community tab, the ability to unlock achievements, and pve in general will be a big positive IMO, as well as draw more new players looking to learn without pvp chaos. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a 3/0 sc lauan said:

the problem is, people browsing the modded tab are looking for a modded server, not a vanilla experience forced into the "modded" tab.  under the community tab, the ability to unlock achievements, and pve in general will be a big positive IMO, as well as draw more new players looking to learn without pvp chaos. 

I see what the draw behind it is and that makes sense. I just hope it works

• Like 1

• Staff
19 hours ago, Legitamas said:

I am fearful that the already dwindling population is going to grow even smaller.

Back before the instancing of event spawns, pj's and quarries and the other mods put in place our server thrived. We were found in the community section and players helped eachother even more than they do now.

Tea vendors flourished because most players opted to grab the jackhammer/chainsaw and go get their resources. 

I personally am really excited to get back to our roots. The removal of the hammer will be an adjustment but with so many things already able to be picked up and I'm sure more will have that ability...only base parts will need to be thought out a tad more carefully. 

I know change for some can be unnerving and some things unwanted. Give it a shot before going all doom n' gloom and saying you're going to leave. Like the saying goes..... don't knock it till you try it.

As admins and as players we will try to help where and when we can.

Our amazing US Pure players already educate and help eachother now.

Our server as a whole will continue to support eachother and pull together as we all make our way back to Pure/Vanilla. 

• Love 5

I think this will be a good change overall. 

In my experience on Elysium, the lack of /Rec is something you get used to pretty quickly and it will draw people out of their bases.

The Brad and Attack helicopter loot reverting to uninstanced will be annoying (mainly to admin I predict) but I remember it was working fine before so it should be fine again.

The lack of salvaged hammer will be painful but if you place a wall wrong it could be a good use for those normal rockets that would otherwise be wasted 🙂

Having played all three AU servers regularly (and Elysium US), I think the players that miss the mods too much could actually find the modded servers suit them better anyway, it may be worth trying the purified pure and if it doesn't suit then maybe Scourge or Survival will be suitable? You get better value for money for your VIP on the modded servers. I highly recommend Elysium if you can afford a sub (US ping kills me though).

I mainly paid VIP and subscribe to support the servers, I personally don't care if I get anything from it (I don't use the VIP drops) but I can see why people would be annoyed at losing some of the benefits, but it sounds like Death has plans for that.

I'm looking forward to it and I hope it goes great for everyone else too 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 6:23 AM, Death said:

1. Removal of portable recycler for VIP. **
  2. Removal of the donation store. (Only memberships will be purchasable.)

** We'll work to implement alternative perks in the future, but as of now, the only perks would be the unique chat color to indicate that you've supported the server. We understand for many, that's not enough, so rest assured we'll find ways to reward you.

Is this going to include removal of the daily gift [for playing time in server], the vip supply drop, the discord gift, and so forth?

• Staff

hello hello (LONG wall of text incoming, sorry but there is no way I can make my feelings about the changes clear in a short way)

before I start with my oppinion on those very changes: I play on pure servers since 2,5 years straight now and never turned back to any other server because this is just EXACTLY the way that I love Rust to be played and that is for sure also because of all the plugins and all the extras we have here.

I don't want to get angry here or rage or anything like that because leaving the conversation state here is not my intension. And as an ex-admin from PVP Servers of Rust myself I know that there is no harder group of people to convince to changes than gamers that love a game or a server.

Now that thats made clear all I can say to the changes that I am really sad about them. Why is that?

I love this community on Pure EU. And I know for a fact that people will leave. They already do. Since the thumbleweeds of the changes are around we lost SO many players and SO many nice groups of core players (talking about ppl that played since 4 - 5 years here on the server) and some of them will never come back because of the changes. Thats up to them of course but that is also an effect that those changes have and they will have in the future. 

Those servers are about to have a damn crazy time and also the change for people that have 10 h work a day to enjoy rust in their sparetime. And thats only possible because of stuff like the instanced querries (HQM grind and selling, Excavator for boxes of frags in one run etc. etc.). So for people that want the same experience on the servers like before with their RP or big bases will have a massive problem.

For me in this case, well: i'm a farmer so i will have a massive cloth farm again - why? Because I have this very 10 h work-a-day madness going on and not the time to farm the roads or do monuments for evey scrap i'll need.

I want to focus on the main struggle I have with the changes so lets move on to the next (and also for negative last) one:

The admins: you do such an amazing Job here!! Thanks for that in so many ways guys! But I think that there will be stress coming up for the admins. If you take away sleepers protection, loot protection, perso drops and especially the quarries you will get a MASSIVE shitshow in the chat. 90 % of the admin pings will be "XY stole my hqm, XY stole my LGF, XY robbed me sleeping, XY stole my mini". etc. The other 10 % will be "can you remove the wall here for me?"...

I think with the changes you take away SO many plugins and extras the admins fought so hard for to have an easier life here and I think it will be really really stressful to admin this server with vanilla settings (i was - as said - admin and host of a pvp rust server on vanilla and admining this thing... dude... was basically a full time job).

so now that this is said the real last big issue is about the VIP stuff. I mean what about all those players that supported with 20 bugs in order to have the daily drop and personal recycler. Taking that stuff away almost feels like cutting them. Not gonna lie here...

So there is really just one question from my side: You made a poll for the Decay situation. If players want the decay back or not. Why didn't you make a poll on those huge changes. Why didn't you ask the players on the servers if they want that? I don't get that to be honest with you.

Death, I really enjoy your server and I really am grateful for you work and your passion and I can't even put in words how thankful I am for what you do for us but I think a poll would have been the best way here.

So to put a final line under that (sorry the long posts, but those changes are so extreme for the server itself that it will effect basically EVERYTHING here so yeah... sorry for pouring my heart out here):

I am cool with playing vanilla, did this for a damn long time before I found my peace here. But I know for a fact that there will be players on this server that you don't need on a server with a peaceful community. So yeah, the player count might be higher, but I can tell you just now that there will be a lot of work for the admins with those players that will join. Basically you will have the feeling of first wipe night/week all wipe. Rust is a toxic game and with the changes you open the gates also for all those toxic players. I know for a fact that this will happen.

So yeah... I don't know... lets see how it ends but for me I just can tell that I will give it a try. And if the points that I'm afraid of will happen WILL happen well yeah... next station will be mine dude... Sorry for the long text

Best, NonZero

• Like 2

Players come and go from the servers all the time. Everyone seems only focused on players leaving (and making big statements of the servers dying). With the return of Pure to the Community Tab, there will be many more new players joining, discovering the EZ Community for the first time. I'm betting the server numbers will go up once Pure is back in the Community Tab. So come on peeps, think positive.

Also, I don't believe those who make the fatalistic statements of never returning because of changes; They usually come back in the end.

So removal of the /rec . well thats the whole reason i got vip all those years ago. Not trying to sound negative but once the vip perks are gone will their be a reason anyone would want to buy vip anymore. Also i thought i played pure but looks like i play Scorge. But back to the removal thing i feel this will cause more problems then fixes. Defently alot more fights and bans between ppl. Maybe ill join to watch chat lol.

1 hour ago, rogturtle23 said:

So removal of the /rec . well thats the whole reason i got vip all those years ago. Not trying to sound negative but once the vip perks are gone will their be a reason anyone would want to buy vip anymore. Also i thought i played pure but looks like i play Scorge. But back to the removal thing i feel this will cause more problems then fixes. Defently alot more fights and bans between ppl. Maybe ill join to watch chat lol.

VIP perks will be removed from the Pure servers ONLY. You will still be able to enjoy all VIP perks on Survival and Scourge as per usual, as well as access to the EZ Store.

Hey all

Thanks for the info Death. I joined EU Pure in January 2020 and have never left since. I have about 3k hours on record and our team together has 20k hours on EU pure.
It's safe to say we are regulars 😆.

First off a big thanks for me as well. I enjoyed so many (!) awesome and hilarious moments on the server. The community and the core players I played with over the last 3 years were the main reason I was playing on Eu Pure all this time. Also the admins and the server itself. What an awesome server! Now to the changes...or at least my opinion about them. Writing my 2 cents here is the least i can do for all the fun I had.

I pretty much agree 100% with what NonZero wrote a few posts up. Some points i would like emphasize a bit more and provide some details about WHY this will probably not be the server for me anymore sadly.

• Just as NonZero wrote for me this was the chillout time after hard days of work. Having to hack down walls with spears or c4 is really not what this is about for me. So the removal of the salvaged hammer is pretty much a deal breaker for me.
  • Farming is fine too, but thats not what this game is about for me. I like to build beautiful bases with complex electricity, automation and all that stuff. Thank god decay will not be enabled!
  • Mobile Recycler? I could live with that, but still would prefer to have it
  • Instanced quarries, pumpjacks and excav are so awesome...now that mentioned queuing will be back. Is there one single person enjoying that? Yes, the economy on the server went down (I had big shops all the time, so I know)...but is it worth it? I for sure will not enjoy having to run around and collect diesel. Because before it at least was lgf which has now changed and makes it even worse than before
  • No more buying of gens means having to revert to a) the very bugged solar panels or b) the wind turbine farms loved by everyone, especially hardcore mini pilots like me
  • I have been teamed up with the admins for pretty much most of that time and saw the work they put in and what difference some of the features made to their daily work (fights over brad and heli loot, stealing and looting, pumpjacks, etc.). For me removing these will be a big step backwards.

TLDR; EU Pure was the sweet spot between the heavily modded RustEZ servers and the vanilla servers out there. I will certainly miss that, because there are not many like this. I will give it a shot, but I am 100% certain that I will miss those features a lot. My gut feeling tells me quite a few of the Core Players will be leaving which is the worst for me. So let's see. If I should decide to leave, I would like to thank all the awesome people on EU pure for the fun I had...you guys (and girls) rock 😎! And that of course includes all the admins (R4, Warzone, Method, Michael, Ar0n, Wolfgang, Megan, Fly, ...)

@Death was there ever a taught about to add this server config (Pures as they are right now) in the lineup between the more modded ones and actual vanilla ones (yes I know servers are not free) or downgrade one of the two modded lines a bit? That would be the golden solution for me.

Edited by plm1757
  • Like 3

• Staff
On 9/29/2023 at 4:59 PM, NonZero said:

I want to focus on the main struggle I have with the changes so lets move on to the next (and also for negative last) one:

The admins: you do such an amazing Job here!! Thanks for that in so many ways guys! But I think that there will be stress coming up for the admins. If you take away sleepers protection, loot protection, perso drops and especially the quarries you will get a MASSIVE shitshow in the chat. 90 % of the admin pings will be "XY stole my hqm, XY stole my LGF, XY robbed me sleeping, XY stole my mini". etc. The other 10 % will be "can you remove the wall here for me?"...

I think with the changes you take away SO many plugins and extras the admins fought so hard for to have an easier life here and I think it will be really really stressful to admin this server with vanilla settings (i was - as said - admin and host of a pvp rust server on vanilla and admining this thing... dude... was basically a full time job).

i cant speak for all admins obviously, but i joined the admin team FOR the extra work, not to get rid of it.  I love helping the community, and those actions and activities are how i get to do it, and how i have fun on the server, so the more protections, the more boring it gets. 

as far as relaxing/time goes i've played here since before instanced quarries/ge/heli and brad loot and before the HQ quarry became the meta. and always been solo, and never found myself having a hard time maintaining the base, upgrading, or otherwise filling boxes while maintaining 100+ hours a month in game to this day, along with enjoying a fulfilling home life,  my schedule is on call, 12 hour days/5 days a week.  I honestly dont believe the changes will be nearly the burden some think it will be and hope that those unhappy with the changes at least give it a try before bailing.  We've gone without all these things before, and can definitely do it again 😉 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Staff

from staff perspective: its the silence before the storm. so i brace myself for stuff to come on Eu pure.

if players leave, they leave and eventually come back at some point. but just ragequit bc the server is taking away their "used-to-playstyle"like: grind some for a few days and build immense builds , use it for a week or 2 and then never come back again until wipe. just to rinse and repeat all over again. so theres more of a challenge comming now. we have to get along with each others again like back in the days 2017/2018. and we had cool wipes back then too .

//sharing is caring. even back then i was after week 2 loaded without any quarry / excav / brad or heli instancing. so stop whining and take the challenge guys! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I honestly despised the Quarries because it ruined the scrap economy after the first week. I personally think I'm one of the most sweatiest players on US Pure, and even trying to slow myself down I would be essentially done within the first week of playing. I have about 1,500 hours on Pure and I feel like I've gotten my two cents from the VIP, I will never say this enough but I loved how alpha rusts progression was so slow. So I'm all for a harder/more grindy server. I absolutely love the community of US Pure and will never switch no matter what changes happen to the server. I honestly want most of those changes to happen sooner, rather than over the next couple months :P. I feel like vending machines and farming will be more valuable, as well as going mining with a pick. The one thing I will miss however is the Heli instancing, even though it ruined the loot tables, it was nice to be able to steal the Heli agro when someone died and get loot as much as they will (groups of 3+ were OP though due to if one m2 dropped that group would now have 3 m2s). Salvaged hammer will be missed as well but it just means ill have to make sure what I want to upgrade is what I want to be there permanently. No matter what I'll always be hyped for this Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I have made more friends in a single wipe on another rustez server, then I did in pure after 8. I think the greatest ability for longevity in any game is reminding ourselves to not just have are social clicks but to find new ways to welcome others.

Maybe dev rotations or staff interactions. 🤔  or maybe take rookie day on oil rig if you will.

Anyways after it's pure as planned I will give it a go.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Morning all,

Me & Mrs Method have over 2.2k hours combined on RustEZ, all of it on EU Pure and I was Admin / Head admin for a lot of that time.

From a (ex) staff perspective: 90% of my time was spent initially resolving complaints of theft, that was pretty much the main job for admins before the more advanced loot protection and instancing came in. It was very time consuming. This is the only reason I stepped down when I first heard about the changes, as I simply do not have the time available to do that again. I dont believe I "rage quit" as suggested 😉 . 

From a player perspective: I don't really mind about the loot protection going, just put locks on your stuff and close your doors - no worries. Personally I think sleepers and corpses should be fair game around the map, but I know that will not be the opinion of the majority 😄 . Instancing, loot protection, VIP airdrops and personal recycler can all disappear for all I care, they make the server too easy and fast to progress. You end up having everything you need in the first day and nothing to do for the rest of the wipe. Without leaderboards or challenges to compete with other players on the server, it becomes boring. 

The one thing I will greatly miss is the sandwich hammer. I feel that is likely to be the biggest pain for the majority of old and new players. Nothing is more frustrating than having to break walls all day long. I dont know what is happening with decay, because I havent looked, but if decay is removed / heavily reduced then I can see a lot of clutter from abandoned bases being a problem, just because players cant be bothered to spend 3 hours breaking walls down. 

Its the community of regular players that kept me around in the early days and they are the ones that bring me back and give me a reason to log back in. If it wasnt for players like Plm, Eo, Hum, Woody, Chillman, NonZero etc etc etc I wouldn't log in. I will simply follow them.

I appreciate that us old timers and regulars are not the focus of the Pure servers, and that these changes are aimed at bringing in new players, so our opinions are generally a waste of time sharing - at least ive said my piece.

I have no interest in the other servers, I don't want mods that make stuff even easier and auto upgrade stuff etc, I enjoy the vanilla nature of Pure and the grind. I would LOVE to see a server very similar to what Pure is today, that sits in the modded tab as an in-between from Vanilla (community tab) and Scourge / Survival... 

Finally, I would like to say that the repeated message from current staff that "if players leave, they leave and eventually come back at some point" is really offensive. I understand the sentiment and expect that from certain areas, but im surprised seeing certain people basically stating to your face that "we dont care if you moan and go, you'll come back - you always do. So **** you." basically 🤣. Its a bit harsh lol.

Anyway, its been emotional and im sure it will continue to be so! Excited to see what the changes mean and with the exception of my beloved sandwich hammer, im excited for the changes and more of a grind!

See you all next wipe, if not before!

Edited by Method
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

• Staff

i know i am having a controversal opinion. but hey, if they leave they leave. nothing I could do about 🤷‍♂️(or do i?). and i also saw alot of players malding about a descision, leave and come back at some point. (as a player, admin and headadmin i saw that).i didnt ment to offend anyone with my post. the ragequit comment was purely for players wich were salty migrating straight away to another server when the changes were just a roumour,  without even giving it a try for at least a wipe or 2. and it makes me sad to see the community i cared so much for lightheartly just going somewhere else @Method i understand why staff quit. i burnt out over all these "can you check this and that and may you do this or that" also . but eh. we are volunteers. its not a payd job. took me alot of time too to realize. dont stress about it. just do what you can, and when you cant, you cant ^^

//i was told my english is a bit "blunt" (thanks @indigoapples 🙃)but i am not a citizen of an english speaking country. translate it to german and it makes more sense then 😉 and i was seeing it from my own perspective. i left, played somewhere else and i came back not because of the perks , because of the community and the vibe Pure had wich i couldnt find somewhere else and on other servers (i played and wont mention here) staff just didnt care about players as Ez staff did and does right now. there wasnt a "no player favourism" policy. they had their favs and the others just could go down the drain.

Rust Ez is not just a server or a community , its a FAMILY.

i see it like the "lost son" bible parable. everybody will be welcomed back without any penaltys or anger. same as i was treated.

• Love 1

Good afternoon.

I've been playing on this server since April 2019. Very friendly server. I have many friends on this server.

But, as I understand it, for our respected Death the server is also a commercial enterprise that must make a profit.

Therefore, I understand his decision to make this server completely Pure.

Well, I already tried it and decided to switch to the RustEZ EU Survival Server.

See u all on the server.

As someone who played Pure for quite some time, met some of my best friends on Pure, and left... it wasn't because it was on modded or any of those other things. It was because the lag made it nearly impossible to play and some of the admins were absolute menaces.

Example 1: a particular (it's the same in all of these... you wanna know who it is, you can message me) admin screamed at a group of our friends for being at launch for "too long." They were standing on a roof explaining what to do to a new player they were helping out. That same admin had a tower on the edge of Launch that he would just sit in and wait for Brad to come out. He told them if he caught them there again, he'd ban them and argued with them about how long they'd been there.

Example 2: I had a young male sounding player following me around for hours sexually harassing me. It started out telling me to show him specific body parts, then moved up to him following me around telling me in detail what he wanted to do to me. I couldn't get him to type in chat so I could block him and I didn't know at the time you could turn off voices. I reached out via Discord to get admin assistance and I F7 reported him. An admin logged on and I tagged him multiple times asking for help with a situation. I was ignored and then told to deal with it myself before the admin logged back off. I ended up having to leave the game for the night to stop it and deal with flashbacks to sexual assault I'd been subjected to that were triggered by this player and the lack of help from admin.

There were other instances of bad behavior by admins. But some of my friends built their own server and we all moved there and I'm the only one that's been back ever when things got boring or no one was on.

Pure isn't dying because it isn't on the community tab. If that was the case, any modded PVE server would be dying. Yet others are thriving with their mods. Pure is dying because the server is difficult to play due to constant lag (and not worth the lag because the mods aren't ones everyone regularly requests) and the admins aren't very great at being helpful unless you're a buttkisser.

• Staff
39 minutes ago, bethfaceplays said:

Pure isn't dying because it isn't on the community tab. If that was the case, any modded PVE server would be dying. Yet others are thriving with their mods. Pure is dying because the server is difficult to play due to constant lag (and not worth the lag because the mods aren't ones everyone regularly requests) and the admins aren't very great at being helpful unless you're a buttkisser.

leaving things irrelevant to this announcement out, the modded servers arent dying because they ARE modded, those browsing the modded tab arent looking for a 1x with instancing, they want what those modded servers have, vanilla belongs in community. 

on the topic of lag, it's impossible to please everyone, because there's an impossible amount of system configurations and no two people will experience their quality of gameplay the same.  I'm sorry you were running into issues, however builds that cause lag that can be replicated or are reported by multiple individuals are looked at and the team works with the base owner to try to alleviate those issues, as it would be a gross abuse of our power to make those modifications ourselves when no such rule requires it. 

We appreciate your feedback about the admin team and we will certainly have future discussions on how we can better help players in need while also tending to our real life commitments. 

~A3

• Staff
On 10/3/2023 at 12:52 PM, Brutuss said:

Good afternoon.

I've been playing on this server since April 2019. Very friendly server. I have many friends on this server.

But, as I understand it, for our respected Death the server is also a commercial enterprise that must make a profit.

Therefore, I understand his decision to make this server completely Pure.

Well, I already tried it and decided to switch to the RustEZ EU Survival Server.

See u all on the server.

Pure will not have a donation store so not exactly sure how we'll make profit for our commercial enterprise 😄

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2023 at 6:23 AM, Death said:

As many of you may have noticed, our Pure servers have been on the decline lately, and that's mostly in part of it being listed under modded and being mostly vanilla. Most players who search for the experience Pure offers do so in the community tab. Because of this, we plan to bring Pure back to the community tab to reinvigorate player growth and bring the server back to its roots.

In order to do so, we must ensure the server meets the community guidelines. This means we'll be purifying Pure to bring it back to its former glory and once again offer a Pure experience for players to enjoy PvE in once again. We'll be removing any unqualified feature on all Pure servers over the span of 3 months to give players and admins time to adjust. Have a look at our roadmap below!

Explanation

Before you dive into the roadmap, just know that our Pure servers flourished when they were 100% vanilla, and that was mostly due to our incredible admin team that stepped in and assisted players long before the implementation of the salvage hammer tool. While admins have no obligation to be your personal remover tool, they won't mind giving a hand within reason if one is available to help.

Pure was our first-ever server and had maintained a healthy player base for over 5 years. While the player base now is pretty significant, the retention is pretty awful. The server peaks around 100 players on wipe and falls to about 40 after the first week. This is not good. This means we have quite a bit of players experiencing less than-ideal community presence for the majority of the wipe. That's the opposite of what our servers are about.

That's enough of my rant! Please check out the roadmap below so there are no surprises. For our long-time Pure players I appreciate your understanding and hope we can deliver you the experience you signed up for long ago. ❤️

Roadmap

This is our list of planned deprecation of server features over the span of 3 months to slowly progress our Pure server back to the community tab, which requires a complete vanilla experience.

October 5th Wipe

1. Removal of instanced quarries, pumpjacks, and giant excavator.
  2. Removal of instanced helicopter and APC loot.

November 2nd Wipe

1. Removal of /sil and other sign artist commands for players.
  2. Removal of all server loot protections spanning containers, vehicles, and player bodies and corpses.

December 7th Wipe

1. Removal of the salvaged hammer remover tool. *
  2. Removal of portable recycler for VIP. **
  3. Removal of the donation store. (Only memberships will be purchasable.)

* With the removal of the salvaged hammer, we'll be expanding on the game's pickup system to enable pick up on all of the entities we can to reduce the burden on players. Foundation and foundation walls will need to be removed via tools or weapons.

** We'll work to implement alternative perks in the future, but as of now, the only perks would be the unique chat color to indicate that you've supported the server. We understand for many, that's not enough, so rest assured we'll find ways to reward you.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I'll be back for sure. I miss that old admin team there. Wonder what happened to them? :P

• Haha 1

If you are trying to provide a true intro to Rust experience without the PVP aspect, will theft be allowed? I think it should be. It's a valuable lesson about locking your items and bases, and admins should be there to teach, not bail you out. Also is Pure going to have the standard Rust decay level? That would also be appropriate for a true Pure experience. I like Rust for the PVE challenge of survival against animals, scientists and scarcity of items. All of that disappeared when the server went modded. I am hoping for a full Rust PVE experience with the only difference being you can't kill other players. 

• Like 1

• Staff

Well folks, with most of my time over the years in the game playing on EU Pure and its journey, when horses would roam free and mini copters would sit by the road allowing you to kill yourself every few minutes in an effort to learn how to fly.   I find myself drawn to reply or give my thoughts on this thread despite over the last 6 wipes or so moving to EU Scourge.

I suppose part of the reason in writing this would be to reflect on what made me look to move server in the first place.  Much of which others have touched upon further up :

* Tech tree took so much away from people who played the game as shop keepers.  It as suggested took away quite a bit of the community spirit from people hunting items down to research.  People could directly research items down the tree - example electronics, rather than the pot luck on what your scrap was researching.  Due to this the game/benches became cheap to complete your desired items rather than the hard grind of researching the lot

* Instanced quarry - this really killed the economy 

* building upkeep - obviously there is none.  You build anything you want with no consequence or grind to maintain.

* no animals and no roadside scientist for that little bit of risky roaming

So with the above the game became too easy and people were done and finished after a few days .

So I gave Scourge a go.  Lots of positives, zombies about everywhere to keep you on your toes, building upkeep needs to be complied with, and the networth number in the top corner  where it at least gives you a target or something to track your progress and each wipe is not just for nothing.  Having that keeps you playing over the whole month to keep pushing that number up.   With all that said it still suffers from tech tree, instanced quarry and more unique things that make it easy like teleporting, trading etc.

A completely pure experience of Rust as Death has set out his roadmap?  Making things harder and the game lasts the whole month as there is no short cuts ect ?  Yes I would say that was a winner and no downside 

Best wishes 

Stephen