Feedback & Suggestions

Death

Any chance Scourge could get the better AI Zombies and Scarecrows? The ones that use weapons. More of them would be nice, same with wildlife. I was on a server recently that was really challenging because of the smarter zombies and the shear number of them... things were EVERYWHERE. It was gloriously brutal. I probably died more there than I did on a PvP server. Even after getting a gun it was really dangerous to roam around and not pay attention, going out at night was insane. Scientists, zombies, scarecrows everywhere... bears, wolves, boars too. Just trying to run one grid was a challenge at first.. 

I really like this server and community, just hoping it's possible to bump things up a bit on Scourge    Even if it was as is first week, then got harder each week until wipe with last week being a full on zombie apocalypse.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2019 at 11:27 AM, Death said:

@Warlord Ubba This happens with all containers, does it not?

Good Question, I know enough to say that it occurs in the inventory.
If/when I get on again ill test that, but I think it's a little more technical than that. You can swap out weapon over weapon, so long as they are not the same.
I think what it doesn't recognize is that you can swap item 1 with item 2.
I don't know what it takes to fix or modify that but I played on one server that had it possible, I don't quite know if that was an addon.

Another suggestion to reduce the amount of windmills on the map, is to introduce the small generator in the loot table, maybe in the airdrops. If this is what people perceive as lag, it takes quite a few windmills to get the consistent power of a single small generator. I imagine it's not in the table to force people to learn to use batteries etc, but we see tons of windmills at some bases. 

• Staff

The population is indeed consistent. Where they spawn, however, is completely random. As more player built structures pop up their spawning grounds are limited thus making them appear less in population. The population hasn't been touched since last month.

Additions to the in-game currency system:

- Have trades cost money (Maybe 50) [Would help limit trading and encourage traditional trading methods]

- Have TP's cost money (Maybe 200-500) [Homes would be cheaper as they require you to have previously visited said location and establish a bed]

- Introduce "TP Stations" at popular monuments or distant locations (Maybe 100-200) [Admin built stations where anyone can TP to, one could reside in pookie town or outside outpost and bandit camp]

All methods would essentially bring more purpose to the economy plugin and prevent credits from reaching ridiculous amounts.

• Staff

@Spoon Once the skin shop is finished you'll be wishing you had more credits :P

The trade plugin is next on the rewrite list but I don't think I'll charge for it. It encourages trade and commerce. I was planning on doing an auction house once the game stabilizes a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

A suggestion related to this thread:

The current decay system doesn't really fit well with PvE. To summarize:

The Problem: Upkeep on stronger structures vs twig is about ~3-5x as expensive.

This makes sense in PvP because it forces players to compete and kill each other for more resources to upkeep their stronger bases.

This doesn't make sense in PvE because this basically forces players to use weaker materials/build smaller homes when much of the focus for many people is the building aspect of the game.The fact that player structures are invincible against other players also gives no technical reason for players to upgrade their twig homes when twig provides invulnerability with a dramatically longer upkeep time than stronger material.

The Solution: Individually tweak the decay on the materials so that metal takes on the twig decay rate  - have metal take on the twig's upkeep/decay rate, and twig take on metal/stone decay rate (but decrease the decay rate a little, since twig is used to lay down the foundation of a home before upgrading it)

This would also reward players who put in time to upgrade their homes so their homes don't decay as quickly. Those who don't put enough effort in, has their homes decay faster. It's a bit ironic, and quite awful (personal experience), how a player can build a quick home from twig, put in 500 wood, stop playing/abandon it and it'll be there for the next 40 days taking up real estate with their cupboard, whereas a player who put in time to upgrade their base materials has to do so much more work to upkeep it.

I hope you take this into consideration! Thanks!

Edited by J_Sno
  • Like 2

Hello everyone,

Suggestion; if killed by a zombie you become a zombie, you become infected - for a set period of time or until you kill another player. Wouldn't be able to access your base...

is that possible?

Edited by j0k3r
add additional thought
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Death said:

@j0k3r That's actually a really cool concept and I look forward to tinkering with that mechanic in the future.

@J_Sno Decay, for PvE, is designed to reduce the clutter from bases, restrict their size, and add more value to basic resources. The decay rate will be tuned as needed to find a nice balance.

Wonderful to hear! To comment on what you said:

"reduce clutter from bases, restrict their size"

Facepunch themselves already took steps to discourage large bases with tax brackets (https://www.corrosionhour.com/rust-decay-upkeep-variable/ as I'm sure you're aware) already set in place. But at the server's current state, a person can easily build a large twig base with little effort (compared to every other material), like this structure in my screenshot here that's been there for weeks, abandoned:

TycBUij.jpg

But here, the exact opposite of your goals was actually achieved by setting twig to be invulnerable to other players, while keeping the inherently low decay rate of twig (this works in PvP, because no one wants their base to be made of twig that can be so easily destroyed by other players).

"add more value to basic resources"

Yes! Like what I previously said, there should be some incentive (like relatively slower decay) for players to upgrade their base materials. But right now, upgrading only has one tangible benefit for most players: it's not twig lol. To go up into further tiers past wood is just completely unreasonable for most players - the ore nodes are much scarcer than wood, and the upkeeps are the same, or even higher (in the case of stone and armored).

The higher building health doesn't matter because there are only a couple ways your base can be damaged: by kamikaze minicopters (no one does because this'll get you disciplined lol), turret/trap accidental explosions (hardly ever happens), and by people leading the helicopter to your base (again, you'll get disciplined for this).

Edited by J_Sno

• Staff

@J_Sno

1. The tax rates for all building components are Facepunch defaults. We've only adjusted the cost for upkeep in favor of the player.
  2. This is a PvE server so of course twig and all player erected structures will be immune to player damage.
  3. There is no benefit to upgrading your base past wood due to the nature of PvE unless you plan to fight heli or safeguard from griefing.
  4. "Kamikaze" with mini copters is no longer possible.
  5. The only traps that explode on death are flame turrets but they do very little component damage.

Oh yes of course, I'm not arguing about #2 - I only mentioned that fact to make my point there. #3 though is basically what I'm hoping can change with my suggestion - but that's up to you. I appreciate you taking the time to reply! (your other points are good to know, thanks)

3 hours ago, Death said:

@Warlord Ubba Different engines, different code. Nothing to reference. But I can achieve the same thing with what we have now. It's just a matter of the time investment being worth it.

A playable zombie, hmmm.
I'm just thinking maybe there's some way to have a PVE, but PVP, as in player vs zombie.
But like, not just anytime, exclusive to events.

-More credits on zombie kills with the rock or melee weapon?

maybe it will be cool idk lol

-Zombies surrounding a minicopter when spawned

the minicopter is an overpowered way of transportation and is found EVERYWHERE,so why not make it a lil harder to get them? idk how this will work tho

• Staff

@Mira 

More ways to earn credits will be added when more ways to spend them are added.

I try to avoid manipulating the zombie population as much as possible as it can distort server performance. Scourge has over 1,000 zombies spawned at any given time.

The minicopter population was buffed not long ago due to complaints of there not being any. Late into a wipe, I can see how there would be an abundance seeing how they decay regardless now, but the first couple weeks of wipe you'll wish there were more.

• Like 1

Allow players authorized on the TC to use their salvage hammer on the items within the TC area - right now it only lets the owner and no one else (it seems). It'd make sense to let players with TC access destroy as they please, in order to build

Edited by J_Sno
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...